Slumping offense comes alive to bury Tar Heels

Duke's attack unit knows it has underachieved this season.

Last night, they decided to do something about it.

The Blue Devil offense exploded in the second half and rolled past No. 6 North Carolina 13-8 in Koskinen Stadium. Down 7-6 at halftime, the ninth-ranked Blue Devils (4-2, 2-0 in the ACC) outscored Carolina (6-1, 0-1) 8-1 in the half's first 18 minutes and played stall-ball the rest of the way to clinch the win.

"We know we're one of the top units in the country, and we haven't been playing like it," said attackman T.J. Durnan, who led the way with four goals. "We know that as we go, the team goes. We're the three offensive go-to guys (Durnan, Greg Patchak and Jared Frood), and if we don't produce, then we're not going to be winning games. Finally we all came out and produced the way we should be playing every game."

After upset losses to Loyola and Brown last week, Duke was mired in its first two-game regular season losing streak since 1996. Although still early on in the season, the Blue Devils called last night's game "make-or-break," stressing the importance of getting their team back on track.

"Without a doubt in all four years I've been here, this was the most important midseason game I've ever played in," Durnan said. "It's been completely emotionally and mentally draining. It's just the worst thing to lose. Our whole team just hates to lose. This should get us back on track."

Defenseman Steve Card said the Blue Devils came out "fists first" and played extremely physical lacrosse all game, fully taking advantage of their larger size.

"We backed up the last two weeks; no more backing up," Duke coach Mike Pressler said. "We had to bring it to the Heels. We're at our best when we make it a football game. When we play that hard and that tough, we're at our best. We're not so much a skill team, but we're a big, physical bunch.... That's what we're all about: the power game."

But it was that same physical play that hindered Duke early. The Blue Devils jumped out to a 6-3 first quarter lead, but in the second, they made a bee line to the penalty box.

North Carolina scored four goals in the quarter, two of which were extra-man opportunities, and took the one-goal halftime advantage.

But Durnan scored three goals in the third and Duke took a 10-8 lead into the final period. A minute into the quarter, Card made the play of the game, sparking a 72-second, three-goal outburst that finished off the Heels.

North Carolina had just taken possession when Card leveled his man, who had just received a pass over the midfield line. The senior defender snagged the ground ball and threaded a perfect pass to Durnan, who was waiting right in front of the cage for the easy goal.

"In the second quarter, we couldn't get on track because we kept fouling them," said Frood, who scored two goals of his own. "We couldn't get any momentum on offense because we were man-down so much. In the third quarter we came out flying and in the fourth, we scored three goals quick and just buried them."

Card and Stuart Schwartz stifled UNC's leading scorers Chase Martin and Jeff Sonke. The duo came into the game averaging 5.2 goals a game, but only mustered two last night. All total, the entire Carolina team managed just six shots in the second half.

"They played harder and tougher than us; it's simple," UNC coach Dave Klarmann said. "They just outmuscled us, and we didn't slide in a timely fashion. They're big, strong guys. We need help, and we weren't getting it from each other. We stood around and watched them score on us."

For Duke's attack, last night was sweet redemption following three straight games in which the Blue Devils failed to reach double digits. Pressler has been challenging his attack during recent practices, but last night, the coach was all smiles.

"This is the first game the entire year that all three attackmen played well," Pressler said. "As a unit, they put it together.... They were underachieving prior to this. Today they played like the great unit they are."

Share and discuss “Slumping offense comes alive to bury Tar Heels” on social media.