A Score of Great Games: Trajan ends Tar Heel reign

Somewhere, Dean Smith is probably still wondering how you can leave open a guy who is 6-for-11 from three-point range. But you can bet Trajan Langdon isn't complaining.

It had been nearly four years-an eternity and a half in this rivalry-since Duke last tasted victory against North Carolina.

Langdon himself had been to the bottom of the well with a knee injury that wiped out his sophomore year, and the Alaska native was fiercely leading a Duke revival from the infamous 13-18 disaster of 1994-95.

On this day, there had already been 12 lead changes and 10 ties. And that was enough for Langdon.

With the Blue Devils clinging to a 72-70 lead, an open Langdon took a pass from Jeff Capel on the right wing, squared his body and fired a missile-his seventh of the night-that nearly blew the roof off of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"We just said enough is enough and we need to come out and get a win tonight,"Langdon said.

Langdon's bucket capped a brilliant 28-point performance-including 20 in the second half-and ruined what would turn out to be Smith's final trip to Cameron.

"It's one of those shots that people will talk about," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "It was all Trajan and the team, and his determination to take that shot."

Share and discuss “A Score of Great Games: Trajan ends Tar Heel reign” on social media.