New group brings children to Duke

From now on, cavorting youngsters will be a common sight in the Sarah P. Duke gardens on Saturdays.

Several members of the Kappa Alpha Order and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., have begun inviting two dozen or so inner-city schoolchildren to the University's campus each weekend for a day of educational programming and games. The students have dubbed their organization Full Court Press and plan on three or four weekend installments this year.

"This is pretty much a prototype to build a more extensive program for next year," said Jake Anderson, a Trinity sophomore and one of the program's founders. "We envision hopefully 12 to 16 sessions for next year."

Anderson, together with Daryn Dodson, David King and Scott Orleck, chose the Edgemont Tutoring Project as the source for participants after Anderson and King tutored at the program.

"It's one thing to tutor these kids for an hour, jump in your sport utility vehicle, drive back to campus and forget about them," said Anderson. "We have to get them out of their existing situation once in a while and bring them to Duke."

During the first session this Saturday, participants as young as five and as old as 13 were treated to breakfast and lunch. They played basketball and capture the flag, ran relay races and watched a step show performed by two former members of Kappa Alpha Psi.

Children who took part in the program said they enjoyed their day and looked forward to returning. "We get to come out here and meet new friends," said Marcus Cox, a participant. "They're giving us t-shirts and autographs from Duke basketball players."

The organizers depended on about 30 volunteers to manage the children and activities. "There was probably one volunteer for every two kids, at least for every three kids," said Dodson. "Each kid got a significant amount of attention from the volunteers."

And everyone seemed to be enjoying their time. "I love kids," said Dan Suzuki, a Trinity sophomore and afternoon volunteer. "These are good kids. [The children] are definitely having fun. They love it at Duke and they want to come back."

If the children are to return in the future, however, organizers will need to secure continued sources of funding for the project. Because University and private sources have come forward with $2,250 to fund this year's remaining three sessions, Anderson said he does not see financing as a problem. As a result, Edgemont students can participate at no cost.

"These kids don't really have any financial resources," said Anderson, "so the purpose is to provide them with... a moment where they don't have to think about cost and funds."

Share and discuss “New group brings children to Duke” on social media.