Freshmen balance home, new friends

It's that time of year again. The sun is shining, class attendance is dwindling and students are packing their bags for 10 days of spring break.

For freshmen, this is a first-time experience. Unlike the fall schedule, spring semester has fewer breaks, so students must prioritize their vacation plans. After two straight months of dorm living, home is a popular choice for many. Unfortunately, going home is not an option for some students-spring sports do not stop for class breaks.

"For crew we're staying here in Durham. We will be training a lot, two to three times a day," said Debbie Seibold, a Pratt freshman. "I'm a little upset I can't go home; I haven't been home since January."

While homesickness may influence students' spring break choices, it is not the primary factor. John Barrow, a psychologist at Counseling and Psychological Services, said students are more homesick in the fall than in the spring. "In terms of spring break, we see people feeling stress the week before due to midterms, papers and assignments," Barrow said. "By this time in the spring, first-year students are more attached to Duke and more involved, so homesickness is not so much of an issue."

Although they may be more acclimated to Duke, many freshmen are just ready to get away and spend some time with their friends.

For students not heading to home sweet home, some of the more popular destinations include Cancun, Jamaica and the Bahamas, with students booking trips through spring break travel agencies.

"None of my friends or my girlfriend have the same spring break as I do, so it wasn't worth it to go home," Neal D'Amato, a Trinity freshman, said. "My parents wanted me to come home.... Instead I am going to Myrtle Beach with some friends; we're staying in a condo for free, so it's a good deal."

Pratt freshman Baiku Datta is using his break to meet up with friends in San Francisco. He lives in the Philippines, but attended an international high school.

"I went home for Christmas, I'll be home for summer, so my parents don't really care if I don't go home next week. I'd rather go to San Francisco and see my friends," Datta said.

For those who can't decide between friends and family, there's always the combination. Trinity freshman Jasi Kamody said, "I'm going home and visiting a few friends who go to school near home also. I'm pumped, I'm excited to see my friends and to hang out with my mom."

Share and discuss “Freshmen balance home, new friends” on social media.