Tenters stampede to registration site

At 8 a.m. yesterday, an eager student eyed the front of the Davison Building from afar, shortly after the location was named on the World Wide Web as the Krzyzewskiville registration site. White registration, which allows those who have not yet erected tents to do so, had begun, and the race for the last spots in K-ville was on.

Barreling toward the Davison Building, the student neared the two line monitors standing with clipboards-and passed them.

"This guy was just too much," said line monitor Kathy Coulombe, a Trinity sophomore. "He gets here and he totally runs past us. But he found us two tents later."

Starting with tent 83, line monitors registered about 30 tents yesterday morning, bringing the total well over the guaranteed admission ceiling of 100 tents. Line monitors will not forbid anyway from camping out for the Feb. 26 game against St. John's and the March 4 game against North Carolina.

Trinity senior Colin Williams, who registered tent 105, is confident he will get to watch the games.

"We slept in a tent last night," he said. "We didn't know we had to look on the web. [My number isn't] great, even though we woke up so early, but I think we will still get in."

The first three tents handed in their tent rosters and were registered only minutes after 8 a.m. Coulombe and fellow monitor Jen Stapleton, a Trinity junior, watched several students stampede out of the Perkins Library computer cluster and compete for the next spot in line. The monitors did not disclose the registration location so that students could not camp out to be in line for this second registration period.

Despite a plan Trinity senior Cory Davis and his friends brewed up to spread themselves throughout campus, but he was the only one who woke up at 7:35 a.m. as planned. "I'm tent 97 and it was only 8:05 when I did it," he said.

Many of these tenters, who had to set up in K-ville by noon yesterday, said they would have tented during the earlier blue period if they had been able to get a complete group of 10 together in time.

Pratt junior Kent Young, who registered tent 104, said, "Basically, we just organized ourselves now. It took us a while to get enough people together." Like most of the others, he kept reloading his browser until the information was posted.

But a few people had other ideas. Pratt freshman Grace Kwon and her friend Sunny Yoo, a Trinity junior, stayed up until 4:30 a.m., hoping the line monitors would post registration information early. Kwon even spent the night with upperclassmen on Central Campus. By the time they reached the line, it was up to 101. "If we were under 100, it would be better," the freshman said. "We should get in, but it really stinks that we're 101."

Yoo agreed, with caution. "My freshman year, I was in the first tent not to get in," she said. "We were crying, but they had 15 in each tent that year."

Share and discuss “Tenters stampede to registration site” on social media.