Union elects new president

Trinity junior Pam Wells spent last semester in Rome, but she'll spend much of next year in the Duke University Union office; Wells takes over in April as president of the campus' largest programming organization.

"I have known Pam for a long time and I'm really excited to see her take the helm," said current Union President Jeff Hindman, a Pratt senior. "I think she has a great vision for the Union... [and] a good sense of its tradition."

Before heading off for her scenic semester in Rome, Wells served as chair of the On Stage committee during her sophomore year. As such, she said she brought a variety of acts to campus in "more of an artist management position."

Wells said she has not yet had a chance to formulate specific goals for her upcoming term as president. "I need to take time to investigate and see where the Union stands right now...," she said. "I need to ground myself."

One current idea is to increase the Union's financial base by increasing the organization's outside funding.

"Traditionally, the Union endowment drive has had strong support from Union alumni," Wells said. "In the years ahead, we would like to continue to cultivate those relationships and such support."

At present, Wells said she does not plan on asking for an increase in student fees, but she will make a final decision in the next few weeks after reviewing the Union's financial records.

The Union, which includes Major Speakers, Major Attractions, Broadway at Duke and Freewater Films, is "continually pushing our programming to the limit," Wells said. During her term, Wells plans to educate the University community about the Union's specific responsibilities and to increase student participation.

Wells, who is also a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority and the club softball team, is a double major in English and cultural anthropology. She said her interest in the Union began through Hindman, whom she knew from high school.

Wells said Hindman encouraged her to become active in the organization. Through him, she said, "I saw the intricacies of the Union and how it works.... It sort of captured me."

Now, the Atlanta native said, "I love the Union. In a lot of ways, it's my family here at Duke."

Share and discuss “Union elects new president” on social media.