`No longer a freshman': Williams shows maturity in victory

WINSTON-SALEM - To say that the Blue Devil offense struggled throughout the first half vs. Wake Forest would be an understatement. Duke shot just 35 percent from the field and managed a meager two-point lead at the break, thanks mainly to solid shooting from the free-throw line.

The second half, however, was a different story altogether. Why? The turnaround can be largely credited to the play of Jason Williams, who ran Duke's offense to near perfection for the final 20 minutes.

While the first half saw Wake Forest's zone defense force Duke into quick long-range jump shots, the second half was characterized by Blue Devil shooters taking relaxed, medium-range jumpers at will.

Williams led the second-half surge despite early foul trouble. The freshman point guard, who picked up his second foul with more than 15 minutes remaining in the opening half, played a smart game on the defensive end that allowed him to log 32 minutes in the contest.

"Maybe the best thing he did today was learn to play with two fouls and not get his third," Krzyzewski said. "We're going to show confidence in him to do that, but you can't if he doesn't do it. So, it's up to the kid, and the kid's getting better."

Entering the game, it would seem that Demon Deacon star Robert O'Kelley would be the one putting on the point guard clinic. Instead, he probably picked up a few pointers. Frustrated by Duke's defense, O'Kelley launched many ill-advised three-point attempts and forced the ball to the basket when there was no opening.

In contrast, Williams kept his composure throughout the contest and took what the defense gave him. He connected on eight of his 10 field goal attempts-including a 3-for-5 day behind the arc-for a game-high 19 points.

"In the last four [conference games], he has played terrific basketball," Krzyzewski said. "He's learning to be a point guard."

Williams, as they say, let the game come to him. He penetrated when the defense provided a crease, but he was also content to take a medium-range jump shot or three-pointer.

"Jason played a heck of a game," junior Shane Battier said. "He made some great decisions. I think he's starting to see that he's one of the best point guards in the league. I'll take him over anyone in this league."

Williams led the fast break, especially in the second half, with John Stockton-like precision. Rather than trying to make the spectacular play and risk a charge or turnover, he slowed the ball down or pulled up for an open jump shot.

"Williams had an amazing second half," Krzyzewski said. "His decision-making on the break was good, and his shots gave us some separation."

Senior Chris Carrawell also took notice of Williams' veteran-esque performance in the rowdy Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

"I think Jason's coming along," he said. "The way he played today was amazing-he made some big shots, got into the lane and drove and created."

The Blue Devil point guard connected on two key three-pointers, helping Duke's efforts to pull away from the Deacons in the second half. As Wake threatened to regain the lead with 13 minutes remaining, Williams received a pass from Nate James and coolly nailed one from behind the arc to extend the Blue Devil advantage to 47-43.

Again, with 5:50 left in the game, the freshman buried a long range three-pointer to increase the Duke lead to nine and all but end the Deacons' hope for a win.

Battier summed up the maturation of Williams as Duke's floor general after the game.

"He's no longer a freshman in our eyes," he said.

Share and discuss “`No longer a freshman': Williams shows maturity in victory” on social media.