Women's soccer to host NCAA game

Bill Hempen and the women's soccer team got some good news last night-their season will last at least a few days longer.

Duke (12-9, 2-5 in the ACC) received an at-large bid to the NCAA Women's College Cup, the NCAA announced last night. The Blue Devils were on the tournament bubble with their 12-9 overall record, but Duke was apparently rewarded for its difficult schedule.

Although Hempen believed his team deserved a bid, as the selection show dragged on, his nerves started to get the best of him. Then, finally, with four slots left to announce in the 48-team field, Duke's name was called.

"We're in, so it doesn't matter," Hempen said. "I was nervous, especially as the show went on, but I'm very happy that we're in."

The Blue Devils will host a first-round game against Elon College Wednesday at Koskinen Stadium, with the time of the contest to be announced today. Elon earned its bid in just its first year of eligibility after moving up to Division I this season.

The winner of Wednesday's match will play this weekend at William & Mary, which received a first-round bye.

The Blue Devils were just 2-5 in the ACC but had three victories over teams that received first-round byes, Connecticut, Penn State and Wake Forest. But after Thursday's first-round loss in the ACC tournament to Maryland, Duke's NCAA chances seemed shaken.

"I didn't think [the loss] was that big a deal," Hempen said. "Of the teams that got first-round byes, we beat three of them. I was hoping that would stand up, and it's evident it did. Actually, I think Maryland's win over us got them in the tournament."

Eleven teams are going to their first NCAA tournament, and upsets in several conference tournaments looked like they could push Duke out of the tourney picture. But the ACC was looked upon favorably, as six teams from the conference received berths.

Note: The field hockey team will learn its fate when the tournament brackets are announced Wednesday evening.

Share and discuss “Women's soccer to host NCAA game” on social media.