Duke earns 1st ACC win with upset

"Concede nothing!" a Wake Forest fan shouted to the soggy Demon Deacons in their second-half tangle with Duke yesterday at Williams Field.

His words quickly became the 12th-ranked Blue Devils' mantra as they outlasted No. 7 Wake Forest, 2-1.

The victory marked Duke's first ACC win this season and Wake's second loss.

Duke (11-5, 1-2 in the ACC) and Wake (11-2, 1-2) last met a month ago at Kentner Stadium, where the Deacs blanked the Blue Devils, 6-0.

"We're a totally different team now," coach Liz Tchou said. "We're more energetic, more skilled."

Tchou's words are backed by statistics as well as an energized offense. When Duke and Wake last met, the Blue Devils' were 2-2 and the Deacs were undefeated.

There was also a marked difference in Duke's roster.

"Last time we [and Wake] met was in the midst of all of our injuries," Keri Dunn said. "Now we have everyone back."

Senior Caroline Helwig scored what proved to be the game-winner with 8:23 remaining in the game off an assist from midfielder Kim Susko. Helwig's goal slipped past Wake goalie Meaghan Nikita amid Wake confusion over whether the ball was in play.

Both teams went scoreless for the first half during which Duke outshot the Deacs 4-3, but the Blue Devils picked up the pace during the second half to add eight more shots to Wake's three.

Sophomore Angie North finally drew first blood in the 20th minute of the second half on Duke's third straight penalty corner. North fired through a tangle of bodies to put the Blue Devils up 1-0.

Afterwards, the same Wake spectator cried, "Plenty of time for two more!" which would have given the Deacs a 2-1 advantage.

Again, his words appeared to spur on the Blue Devils as Helwig scored Duke's second goal seven minutes later.

Wake sophomore Jemima Cameron recorded the Deacs' first and last goal of the game with 1:25 left, but Duke kept Wake out of the circle the rest of the way.

The win follows the Blue Devils' fall break Northeastern sweep and stretches their current winning streak to four games.

"Every player is coming so focused to every game," Tchou said. "That's why we've been so successful."

The last time the Blue Devils were so successful they defeated second-ranked defending national champion Old Dominion, 3-2.

That victory was the high-water mark of a five-game winning streak.

"Our team morale definitely picked up," Dunn said. "I think ODU was our turning point."

Yesterday, senior goalie Jenn Robb slipped and slid on the turf to record three saves, while Nikita posted eight in response to Duke's overpowering 12 shots.

"I'm enjoying coaching them because they go all out every game," Tchou said.

Share and discuss “Duke earns 1st ACC win with upset” on social media.