Another student laments loss of Devil's Quarters

For many, many years, the Devil's Quarters was in a secluded yet accessible location that everyone knew.

Patrons included undergraduates, graduate students and employees who could enjoy a wide selection of pinball and video games, mini-basketball, air hockey and the two pool tables.

The location was roomy enough that you weren't bumping into each other, yet cozy enough that you could exchange smiles and appreciate each other's skills.

Then, suddenly, it closed one summer. After a long hiatus, it reopened in the congested bottom level of the Rathskeller with just one pool table and a limited choice of video games that were within a cue's length of the table, not to mention a gallery of diners observing intently.

And surprise-the revenues dropped!

Duke deserves better-a place on campus where people can relax and enjoy themselves, where everyone can interact informally and spend time together. Other schools even have bowling alleys.

If not that, isn't it at least reasonable to expect at least two pool tables, mini-basketball, air hockey, foosball, perhaps a Ping-Pong table or a good selection of video games and pinball machines in a location that does not have the overpowering smell of pasta sauce?

Subhash Joshi

Graduate student,

Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science

Share and discuss “Another student laments loss of Devil's Quarters” on social media.