Field hockey's tale of 2 goalies

Hurricane Floyd swept quickly and quietly through Duke's campus Wednesday night, leaving many students wondering what the fuss was all about.

The same can be said for the highly touted offense of the 10th-ranked Duke field hockey team. Despite implementing a new open, attacking offense, the Blue Devils (3-3) have left many of their opponents wondering why it was so hyped.

Even with a new scoring plan of attack, the Blue Devils have not been producing much on the offensive front lately. On Tuesday, they broke a two-game scoring slump in which they produced just one goal with a 3-2 win over Radford.

And when the Blue Devils host Appalachian State this weekend, some things will have to change.

Coach Liz Tchou has had to worry even more about Duke's struggles on the other side of the field. Tchou has been spreading goalie duties around this season with mixed results. In all three of the Blue Devils' losses, they have scored a single goal while allowing the other team to average more than five goals.

The Blue Devils are suffering from injuries on both sides of the field. The toughest loss has been senior goaltender Jenn Robb, whose off-season shoulder surgery knocked her out of an assured starting position.

Robb, who started every game last season, posted shutouts over three different teams, including William and Mary, Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth. She recorded a .761 save percentage with 124 total saves.

But that was last year.

This year, Robb shares goaltending duties with sophomore Hallie Smith. Smith made appearances in just three games last season, with a season-high 16 minutes against Temple.

"It's a situation in which we're trying to do our best for the team," Robb said. "We try to roll with the punches."

Robb has had to roll with the punches and watch Smith take her starting position in all six games so far this season.

Smith, a Regional All-America in high school, has stepped into Robb's shoes and found a fit. She recorded five saves in a 3-1 season-opener win against William and Mary, providing Robb with a cushion on which to enter the game for the first time since her injury.

"I feel that I'm getting back in there," Robb said. "I'm getting stronger with every game."

Her shoulder failed to hold her back against Radford, when Smith and Robb combined for four saves against the Highlanders.

The senior recorded three of the saves, including the game-winning block against a Radford penalty shot after regulation time had ended.

If her rehabilitation continues to progress smoothly, Robb could help her team to another trip to the NCAA tournament.

"I would love to make the tournament my last year," Robb said. "But we'll just take it one game at a time."

Share and discuss “Field hockey's tale of 2 goalies” on social media.