Duke falls to Ball State in featured match of Nike Challenge

The Ball State volleyball team was certainly looking forward to Duke's visit to Muncie, Ind. this year for the Ball State-Nike Challenge. Last season in Durham, the Blue Devils stole a victory right out of the hands of the Cardinals in a five-set epic, and the host school had revenge on its mind.

When the two teams met in the feature match of the Challenge this weekend, the epic continued. Only this time, Ball State (7-3) outlasted Duke (4-4) for the five-set triumph.

"We were happy with how we played together against Indiana State and Ball State," senior Dominique Philipp said. "We were also disappointed that we did not beat Ball State. We could have had them easily in the fourth game.... In general, though, I am happy with the way the team is really working together."

After falling in the first game by a 15-10 count, Duke rallied to capture the next two games 15-7 and 15-12. The Blue Devils appeared poised for victory, opening an 11-3 lead in the fourth game of the match, but with their backs against the wall, the Cardinals had some life left.

They rallied to score 12 of the next 13 points, earning a 15-12 win to force the decisive fifth game. Duke was unable to rebound from the fourth-game loss, and Ball State, led by Megan Hammons' 25 kills, carried its momentum into the last game for a 15-11 victory.

"You could see in [Ball State's] faces in game four that they knew we were going to win, and we knew we were going to win," Philipp said. "We were definitely frustrated, but we knew we had to go back and win one more game. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the way we wanted."

While the Cardinals walked away with the win, it was not due to the Blue Devils lack of effort, especially from Philipp.

Philipp spearheaded the Duke attack with an astounding 21 kills and 24 digs. Sophomores Ashley Harris and Pamela Gottfred also contributed to the Blue Devil effort with 13 kills and 56 assists, respectively.

Philipp began her Saturday of quality play earlier that morning, helping Duke earn a 3-0 victory over Indiana State. The senior led the squad once again with 14 kills, while sophomore Dorrette Burwell added 11 kills of her own.

After the Sycamores pressed the Blue Devils to the limit in the opening game, a 16-14 Duke win, the Blue Devils made quick work of Indiana State (3-7). Duke only allowed 14 points over the next two games for the win.

In the Friday night opener, the Blue Devils fell to Western Kentucky (8-4) by a count of 3-1. Duke, led by Jami Ediger's 12 kills and 13 digs, dominated the Lady Hilltoppers in game one, 15-7. Western Kentucky returned the favor with a 15-8 win in the second game.

The Blue Devils battled down to the wire in the next two games, but the Lady Hilltoppers had the answers in the end, winning both games by a 15-12 score.

"I think we were disappointed with the Western Kentucky loss," Philipp said. "They were a team that we should have hands-down beaten in three games."

Share and discuss “Duke falls to Ball State in featured match of Nike Challenge” on social media.