Women's soccer looks to rebound after injury-plagued '98

Sometimes high, unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment and, ultimately, failure.

In the case of the 1998 women's soccer team, high expectations led to disaster, as a squad ranked ninth in the preseason national rankings struggled through an injury-plagued rebuilding season and finished in the basement of the ACC.

"Last year was the most difficult year we've had," coach Bill Hempen said. "You can't not enjoy what you're doing, and we tried to make it an enjoyable experience, but it's hard to do because the goals that we had originally set were not attainable."

Those original goals became unattainable in a hurry as a rash of preseason injuries plagued the Blue Devils for a second straight season.

However, with a corps of experienced veterans, a fresh crop of athletic newcomers and more reasonable expectations, the 1999 edition looks to reverse its fortunes from a year ago.

The experience factor will be especially important for the Blue Devils, who boast a starting lineup of seven players who are either juniors or seniors. In addition, the lone sophomore starter, forward Sarah Pickens, already has 12 starts under her belt.

Not only will Duke's experience aid in vindicating last season's disaster, but its talented freshman class could play a pivotal role as three rookies started in Friday night's opener. A pair of 5-foot-9 freshmen, forward Brigid Bowdell and midfielder Carly Fuller, add intimidation to the traditionally small Blue Devils' lineup. Rounding out the trio of freshmen starters was midfielder Maegan Lobo-Berg.

But in the backfield, experience reigns, where Hempen's squad boasts a junior goalkeeper and a defensive line including senior Kim Cahill and fourth-year juniors Liz Speights and Kim Daws. Speights returns healthy this year after two injury-laden seasons.

Although the midfield starts two freshmen, it is anchored by several key veterans. All-ACC selection and senior captain Sherrill Kester led the team in goals last season and is joined by juniors Truman and Susan Kraeger.

The front line serves as the biggest enigma on this year's squad, as the untested Bowdell will be forced to pick up the scoring slack left by senior Emily Feeney, who is out indefinitely with a bruised bone in her foot. In addition, Pickens will need to produce, as goal-scoring was one of Duke's most glaring deficiencies in 1999.

To fix the scoring problem, the players competed arduously in spring and summer workouts.

"We used the spring as a time for rebuilding our team and used the summer to fine tune our individual skills and fitness," Truman said. "Our preseason has been absolutely amazing as we have had 100 percent effort out of every single person."

The off-season did have its distractions, though, when 12-year head coach Bill Hempen decided to interview for the head coaching job at UCLA, before rescinding his application for the job.

Hempen said he decided to stay at Duke because he felt a certain pride for the university and was impressed by the athletic department's dedication to improving the facilities for Olympic sports.

"That chapter in my life is over," Hempen said. "I'm not going to spend all year long saying, 'What if I would've left or gone to UCLA?'"

While the players were supportive of Hempen no matter what decision he made, they were definitely happy to see him remain at Duke.

"His decision had nothing to do with our team and the girls here," Truman said. "We know he wants to be here more than anyone. It is his program.... He is our coach and we are glad he is with us."

Although the players are excited about Hempen's decision to stay at Duke, the continual occurrence of injuries remains a serious problem for the Blue Devils. Along with Feeney, redshirt freshman Jamie Parker will miss the first games of the season after suffering a concussion. Junior Stephanie Kraay and sophomore Snow Brenner are both still recuperating from off-season surgeries.

But if the current injuries are the only ones that occur-and based on recent history that is a big "if"-Duke still has its nucleus intact and will not have to deal with the constant lineup changes that have disrupted team chemistry the past two years.

This chemistry, along with many other factors, could be the starting point for a potentially successful season. At the very least, the Blue Devils hope to prove themselves to naysayers and regain the respect they lost in last season's misery.

"We are ready for the challenge and ready to make a name for ourselves...." Truman said. "It is time for a change and we are going to do everything we can to make it happen."

Share and discuss “Women's soccer looks to rebound after injury-plagued '98” on social media.