Delta Sigma Theta makes powerful return

After remaining inactive for three years, historically-black sorority Delta Sigma Theta will induct new members this spring.

The number of women who are expected to join at the end of the semester-25-is extremely high for a historically black greek organization at the University. Traditionally, about five new members join annually, comprising a "line," the equivalent of a pledge class in Panhellenic sororities.

"A line of 10 would be big, so 25 is very big," said Assistant Dean of Student Development and a Delta Sigma Theta advisor Carmen Tillery, who attributes this year's large number of new members to the sorority's three-year hiatus. At that time, sorority activity was put on hold by the University following a hazing incident that Tillery-a Delta Sigma Theta member at her own university-said "escalated too far."

"The leadership of our sorority made a conscious decision, in light of what happened, to hold off [on sorority activity] until we thought we were ready," Tillery said, explaining that the sorority made an agreement with the University that they would not take in new members for some time. "A lot of people think we were suspended-we were not. We had an understanding and an agreement about what shouldn't happen until we were ready."

Tillery does not expect that any similar incidents will occur with this year's line. Increasing the number of advisors to four-a chapter usually has only one-will allow for more supervision and support, she said.

More than 100 women attended Delta Sigma Theta's Feb. 7 rush meeting and about 40 applied to join the sorority.

"The interest was overwhelming," Tillery said. "I've been working here three years and I've had people e-mailing me ever since I got here about it."

Tillery said the criteria for admission to the sorority are scholarship, community service and leadership ability.

The group of 25 likely new members includes about eight seniors, which is highly unusual for an undergraduate line.

The chapter has made exceptions for seniors, however, because many had been waiting to join the sorority since their freshman year. Because of "fundamental differences" between the different predominantly black sororities, women will often only join their first choice, Tillery said.

Trinity senior Diahnna Baxter is excited that she now has an opportunity to join as an undergraduate.

"Freshman year I had my mind made up," she said. "In the time they had been gone, I wasn't interested in anything else. Once it came back, I knew I had to do it."

Baxter said she believes that the sorority will fill a niche at the University. "It will bring back a group of women that are committed to uplifting black women and the black community," she said. If Delta Sigma Theta had not returned to Duke before she graduated, Baxter planned to join a graduate chapter of the sorority.

Baxter and the rest of her line sisters will shortly become full-fledged members of Delta Sigma Theta, which has had a chapter at Duke since 1974 and was founded nationally in 1916. Tillery said the formal date for initiation is not public. "Just look for 25 fine women walking the campus in red and white," she said.

Delta Sigma Theta joins Alpha Kappa Alpha and Sigma Gamma Rho in making up the predominantly black sororities at the University. The University also recognizes three predominantly black fraternities-Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Phi Beta Sigma. Omega Psi Phi inducted four members in the fall, but does not have University recognition, said Maureen Cullins, dean of Campus Community Development and National Panhellenic Council Advisor.

Share and discuss “Delta Sigma Theta makes powerful return” on social media.