Blue Devils win 3, including victory over No. 7 Princeton

For the women's lacrosse team, a moral victory just wouldn't suffice.

Playing against traditional power Princeton last Tuesday, the Blue Devils needed a "W" on the schedule, not one in their minds. Sixth-ranked Duke (4-1) seemed poised to do just that, jumping out to a 10-5 lead, but No. 7 Princeton (2-1) scored three quick goals, closing the margin to 10-8 with four minutes remaining. Not until defenseman Emily Hickman stole a Tiger pass with 2:10 left was Duke assured an 11-8 victory, its second of three wins during spring break.

"I thought this was a huge game," coach Kerstin Kimel said. "I think this is exactly what these kids needed. They needed to feel like they could compete with a top team in the country and come out on top and not lose by a couple of goals, like at Maryland, and say, 'Oh, that's okay.'"

Courtney Rodgers scored the first of her three goals to give Duke a 1-0 lead, but Princeton responded with three quick goals in a four-minute span by winning draws and easily beating the Blue Devils' defense. Duke finally woke up, however, and surged ahead with six goals in less than five minutes, giving the Blue Devils a 7-3 lead.

"We were challenging really hard," Tricia Martin said of the critical run. "When their double-teams came, we were dropping the ball off really well-everything was connecting. We were finishing really well."

The home win against the Tigers was sandwiched between easy victories over Towson Mar. 13 and No. 14 Vanderbilt Friday afternoon. In their contest in Nashville, the Blue Devils broke a 6-6 halftime tie with five straight goals in just under six minutes and cruised the rest of the way, winning 17-8. Tricia Martin scored nine points on four goals and five assists.

Against unranked and overmatched Towson, Duke shed the rust of a week-long break following the loss to Maryland and used the opportunity to practice techniques in preparation for the match with the Tigers. Duke easily won 13-6, led by Kelly Dirks' four goals.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils win 3, including victory over No. 7 Princeton” on social media.