Potential Dole bid interests GOP activists

Duke alumna Elizabeth Dole has recently hinted that she may dive into the pool of presidential candidates around which she has tiptoed coquettishly for so long. Seven years after 1992-known as "The Year of the Woman"-the popular support for her candidacy suggests the United States may soon be ready for a female chief executive.

Dole left the helm of the American Red Cross three weeks ago, hinting at interest in a presidential run. Since then, she has opened an office in Washington's Watergate Hotel, and pundits say it is only a matter of time before she creates an exploratory committee, the traditional first step toward presidential candidacy.

Jean O'Barr, director of the Women's Studies program, said she believes the political atmosphere has changed as voters become increasingly accustomed to the idea of women in high positions. "People have gotten sensitive to the fact that people who speak for them ought to look like them," she said.

"Women are seen as trustworthy by the American people, and with all that is going on in Washington, people are ready for something different," said North Carolina state senator Betsy Cochrane, who spoke at a Dole rally Jan. 23.

Dole is distinct from her potential competitors-likely among them Texas Governor George W. Bush, a Republican, and Vice President Al Gore-in several ways, said John Brehm, associate professor of political science.

"First and foremost she is a woman," said Brehm, "but she is also the spouse of the last Republican nominee for president."

Despite never having held elected office, Dole is far from a Washington newcomer. She has held five appointed positions, including U.S. secretary of both labor and transportation. She was widely considered as a vice presidential possibility in 1988, when President George Bush chose Dan Quayle as his number-two man.

Dole spent 1996 campaigning for her husband Bob's failed White House bid and drew national attention for her star performance at the Republican National Convention.

Since then, her charm and political adeptness have earned her grassroots support. The "Draft Elizabeth Dole 2000" campaign-which began in Salisbury, N.C., Dole's hometown-hosts a pro-Dole web site and is holding a petition drive to encourage Dole to run.

Margaret Klutz, North Carolina campaign manager for "Draft Elizabeth Dole 2000," said the Salisbury community did much "soul-searching" before embarking on an effort that would support drastic changes for both Dole and Salisbury. "It's not like we believe that she's just a local girl done well," she said. "She is a unique and qualified individual."

Dole began expanding her political base early in life. She graduated from the Woman's College in 1958 with a degree in political science. A member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, Dole participated in numerous student activities and was president of Women's Student Government her senior year.

Dole's potential bid for the presidency comes at a time when more women than ever are entering politics. For example, in Arizona voters recently elected women to the state's five highest offices.

Dole's rumored candidacy has been accompanied by conjecture that another high-profile political spouse-First Lady Hillary Clinton-will seek elected office as well. Clinton has neither confirmed nor denied rumors that she will seek the New York Senate seat of retiring Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan next year.

O'Barr said that the fact that Dole and Clinton may make bids for such high positions without prior experience is not an anomaly. "Historically, women have entered the political arena through voluntary activities," she said. "The fact that two of the most talked-about women may have different paths to office isn't surprising to me."

Dole's supporters claim that win or lose, she would be remembered as a precedent-setter. "We may not be successful in 2000," Cochrane said, "but I have found that people must blaze trails, and if ever someone could do that well it is Elizabeth Dole."

Share and discuss “Potential Dole bid interests GOP activists” on social media.