Duke takes on 2 top-20 squads

The schedule calls for a high noon showdown in Lawrence, Kan., Saturday. Recent history calls for a slaughter.

Ranked No. 2 in the nation, the women's tennis team begins dual-team play today with a matchup against William & Mary followed by a contest tomorrow versus the Kansas Jayhawks. And in a season that is already national championship or bust for the Blue Devils, it could get ugly quickly.

Although both Kansas and William & Mary are ranked in the top 20 nationally, both have been severely hampered by key losses due to graduation. The eighth-ranked Tribe lost a pair of key players, including national senior player of the year Lauren Nikolaus, from last year's squad, which knocked off four top-10 teams and concluded its season in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year.

While both Duke opponents could be considered to be in the midst of a rebuilding phase, the Blue Devils will still face several marquee players. Kris Sell of Kansas and Carolin Van Rossum of the Tribe are both top-50 singles players, while Van Rossum and Delphine Troch are the nation's No. 8 doubles team.

The one constant between both William & Mary and the Jayhawks will be excellent coaching. Three of the nation's top coaches will meet as Ashworth battles with 1998 national coach of the year Brian Kalbas today and Jenny Garrity, last year's ACC coach of the year at N.C. State, tomorrow.

Kalbas is one of the few coaches nationally to beat an Ashworth-led squad, knocking off the Blue Devils while Ashworth was interim head coach. Duke, however, has won the last two meetings, including a showdown in the National Team Indoors last year.

The biggest test for the Blue Devils may prove to be in doubles. With seniors Karen Goldstein and Vanessa Webb playing together again for the first time last weekend, the two-match road swing will provide an opportunity to regain the form that took them to the nation's top ranking last year.

Duke leads the series with William and Mary 14-2 and is tied with Kansas 2-2. The Blue Devils have won both of their last two meetings with the Jayhawks.

Share and discuss “Duke takes on 2 top-20 squads” on social media.