Sigma Nu tests out University beer truck

Beer from the truck will probably be flowing at many more fraternity parties, especially after the success of Friday night's experimental soiree outside the Sigma Nu fraternity. Despite the biting cold weather, students managed to finish off five kegs of beer at the first greek party to feature the University's beer truck.

Sigma Nu President Ed Spiegel, a Trinity senior, said the party was a "great success" in many ways and noted the less antagonistic interaction between police and students. He pointed to the atmosphere as an indicator that the beer truck was an effective way to bring alcohol to fraternity parties while adhering to the Interfraternity Council's self-imposed ban on distribution by individual fraternities. "There was a more relaxed atmosphere for students and University public safety," he explained. "It didn't seem like they were out to get each other."

Spiegel attributed the lack of tension to the University's regulation of distribution: Instead of placing the responsibility on the individual fraternity, Dining Services provides the trucks as well as the staff. Sigma Nu, he said, intends to reserve the truck for future parties.

By relying on the University to provide beer at parties, IFC hopes to revive the social life that seems to be moving more and more to off-campus houses. Sigma Nu Social Chair and engineering junior Sean Delehanty said the off-campus crowd-generally composed of upperclassmen-came to West Campus last Friday night in larger numbers than usual. Spiegel noted that in addition to upperclassmen, independents and members of other fraternities both had large representation at the party. Securing more cross-fraternity involvement, he said, was one of IFC's goals.

Some independents said the open beer truck system was a definite improvement over the parties of the past that often took place in common rooms.

"It really makes the party more inclusive," said Trinity sophomore Dave Shifren. "To get beer before there was a beer truck, you had to be cute and you had to be female and, generally speaking, you had to be a freshman."

Even though some students complained about long lines, Spiegel said that only a few major backlogs at the beer truck occurred: "Generally, it was smooth-flowing."

Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Pi Kappa Alpha fraternities plan to host parties with the beer truck Nov. 13 and 14, respectively.

Greg Pessin contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Sigma Nu tests out University beer truck” on social media.