Men's cross country travels to Districts with eye on NCAAs

The men's and women's cross country teams are preparing for the NCAA District III meet in Greenville, S.C., this weekend with the hope of making some history.

The men are trying to reach the NCAA national meet for the first time in years by placing in the top three at the district meet or by being selected as an at-large team. But Duke is in one of the most competitive districts in the country and will have to contend with No. 5 N.C. State, No. 17 James Madison and No. 22 William & Mary.

Following a second-place finish at the ACC Championships last week, however, men's associate head coach Norm Ogilvie is optimistic about his team.

"I like our chances at making [the national meet] this year," he said. "We did really well at the conference meet which I believe will help us be chosen as an at-large team."

Scoring in the district is based on each team's top five times. Tom Becker, Tim Schaefer, Terry Brennan and Brendan Fitzgibbon each placed in the top 20 at ACCs against many of the same teams they will face in Greenville. But in order to place, Duke must receive solid performances from sophomore Mike McKeever and freshman Charles Kelly.

Individual honors are also at stake since individuals can qualify for the NCAA meet. Ogilvie feels Becker has an outstanding shot at qualifying after once again receiving All-ACC honors. But Ogilvie is much more concerned about improving on last year's ninth-place finish at the district meet.

"We're not even thinking about individual qualifiers," he said. "We really want to make it as a team."

The men's performance this year has been just another example of the remarkable turnaround the team has made since Ogilvie came to Duke in 1991. That year the Blue Devils finished last in the ACC. This season's second-place finish was Duke's best since 1977.

"When I came here from Colorado, I looked around and knew that we could have a consistent program here," Ogilvie said.

The women are looking to improve on their school-record seventh-place showing in last year's meet. It will be a challenge, however, with a very inexperienced team. Sophomore Megan Sullivan is the only returnee from last season's top seven runners.

"We want to end the season on a high note," said women's coach Jan Samuelson-Ogilvie. "This team may be young, but we have become more cohesive and our expectations have improved."

Samuelson-Ogilvie also feels Sullivan, an all-conference selection this year, has an excellent chance to qualify for Nationals. In last year's district meet, Sullivan was 20th out of 200 runners, receiving all-region honors in the process.

"It's been a goal of hers to make All-ACC and qualify for the NCAA meet," Samuelson-Ogilvie said. "It's a lofty goal, but if anybody can achieve it, she will.

"She lead throughout the first quarter of the race last year. If she can go out a little more conservatively, I think she will do very well."

Share and discuss “Men's cross country travels to Districts with eye on NCAAs” on social media.