Women's soccer battles over No. 5 Huskies in UConn Classic

Oh, the difference five minutes can make.

On Tuesday, the women's soccer team trailed unranked Richmond 1-0 with time running out. Were it not for two clutch goals in the last five minutes of the game, the 14th-ranked Blue Devils might still be scratching their heads at a loss to the less-talented Spiders.

Instead, Duke rides a wave of positive momentum into its next matchup with Connecticut Saturday. The Blue Devils must execute at an even higher level if they hope to steal a win from the Huskies in the opening game of the UConn Classic.

Connecticut (1-0), one of the nation's elite teams, came within a game of winning the national championship last year before succumbing to powerhouse North Carolina in the final. The Huskies, currently ranked 5th in the nation, return All-Big East performers Jennifer Tietjen and Jen Carlson.

"Bill (Hempen) does an excellent job of getting all these fantastic teams on our schedule," said goalkeeper Isis Dallis. "And we kind of have the motto that we're not afraid to play anyone."

After facing UConn, Duke (1-0) squares off against another Big East foe, Rutgers, on Sunday afternoon. These two quality opponents will provide a substantial challenge and will serve as a measuring stick for the Blue Devils at this early stage of the season.

Hempen plans on using the games as an opportunity to employ a number of different lineups and substitution patterns. Hempen's idea is to develop a deep team early on in the season.

"I hope to be able to use more players," Hempen said. "I don't want to have to rely on 10-12 players throughout the year, because last year that's what happened to us and it's what kind of wore us out at the end of the year."

Adding more depth to this year's squad depends largely on unproven players that must display their worth on the field to earn a spot in the rotation. Among other, less-heralded players, there are seven freshmen on the team this year that all have a chance to make an impact early.

Freshman Katie Heaps excelled in the win over Richmond, and Hempen expects other reserves to step up in the opportunities they are given.

Though the team is still coming together as a unit as Hempen tinkers with the lineup, there is no doubt as to who is providing the crux of the team's leadership.

"The seniors really are the leaders, and I think everybody respects that fact," said Hempen. "[Kari Juncker, Mariana Muiruri] and Kristy Welchel all displayed incredible presence on the field against Richmond."

With a consistent performance from its veteran players and role playing by some new faces, Duke looks to come away with two wins this weekend.

"We're very excited to see how we match up with teams of this caliber," said Dallis.

Share and discuss “Women's soccer battles over No. 5 Huskies in UConn Classic” on social media.