Ogilvie takes Nike Tour by storm

Talent does not always translate easily into success-just ask former All-American Duke golfer Joe Ogilvie. Despite an abundance of talent, he hasn't had as much success as he had hoped playing professional golf.

At least not until this summer, when a strong run moved him to No. 1 on the Nike Tour's money list with $134,783 in earnings.

The 1996 Duke graduate and two-time All-ACC golfer has been tearing up the Nike Tour this season. He is only one of two players on the Tour to win two tournaments, capturing the Greensboro Open by a decisive four shot margin and the Mexico Nike Monterrey Open, where he closed with a final-round score of 64.

His success this season has virtually assured Ogilvie a PGA tour card and a chance to compete with the best in the game. The top 15 money winners on the Nike Tour each year are guaranteed a PGA tour card for the next season, but should he manage to win one more tournament, his third victory of the season, he will automatically be entered into the next PGA tournament.

"Greensboro was a big turning point," Ogilvie said. "Not only did it ensure me of my tour card but also a second win solidified my confidence as a player. In golf you do not get a feeling of winning very often, and to win twice at this level has been more than I could ask for."

Highlighting his victory was a double eagle during the final round at Greensboro-a shot that is even rarer than a hole-in-one.

Holding a one-shot lead going into the 489-yard, par-5 14th hole, Ogilvie drove his 3-wood 352 yards off the tee and had just 137 yards remaining to the flag. He then took a pitching wedge, knocked the ball close to the hole and spun it back into the cup. With the Greensboro victory, Ogilvie earned a check for $40,500, placing him on top of the Nike Tour's money list.

Obtaining a PGA tour card would allow Ogilvie to play in most of the tournaments on the Tour, where much larger paydays can be earned. The entire purse for one of the major PGA tournaments exceeds the yearly prize money for all 29 tournaments on the Nike Tour combined.

Although Ogilvie's talent was evident while growing up as a youngster, having a chance to make this much money probably never entered his mind when he first took up the sport by hitting balls on the driving range with his father. He started to play seriously in tournaments when he was 10 years old and eventually progressed to junior national tournaments at age 12.

Junior would be a good way to describe the 5-foot-1, 86-pound high school freshman who still managed to play first man on his golf team. During his high school years Ogilvie excelled, developing into one of the top junior golfers in the country, winning the Ohio State Division-I championship, the Ohio junior's championship and two national tournaments. Although his lack of size hindered his long game, he was able to score well due to his solid short game.

"I didn't start growing until I was a sophomore in high school, so golf was the only sport that I could really excel in," Ogilvie said. "It was actually a mixed blessing because it made me practice my putting and short game growing up."

Coming to Duke was an easy decision for him as he felt comfortable with coach Rod Myers. Additionally, Duke's strong academic reputation played an important role because both of Ogilvie's parents, a lawyer and a school teacher, emphasized the importance of education.

"I first met Coach Myers when I was 15," Ogilvie said. "I made a visit to Duke after one of the junior tournaments and met with him for an hour. I remember him being really easy to talk to and we had a number of things in common. He and I were both from Ohio, we both love golf and one of his best players [at Ohio State] was a second cousin of mine-Steve Groves."

As a member of the golf team, Ogilvie quickly developed a rapport with Myers, one that lasts even to this day.

"I think at my four years at Duke I probably went only a day without talking to Coach," Ogilvie said. "Sometimes we would talk golf, but mainly just shoot the breeze."

Even while on tour, Ogilvie keeps in touch with his former coach and some of the players on the current Blue Devils' squad.

"I give Coach a call at least once a month," Ogilvie said. "I like to follow the guys on the team, see how they are playing. I get back to Duke quite often, but I must admit the last couple times I came back the guys took it to me on the course."

Despite his talent as a junior golfer and his selection as an honorable mention All-American as a senior, Ogilvie is disappointed that he did not perform up to his and others' expectations while in college.

"I feel bad that I did not have more success as a college player," Ogilvie said. "I never won a college golf tournament, and I feel I let Coach down a little bit. I still look back and think of my college years, I had the talent to win but every time I was in position I just couldn't get over the hump."

After graduation, Ogilvie decided to pursue a professional career, but quickly learned he would need to maintain better focus-he would play well for stretches at a time, but it was a few lapses in concentration that cost him in his pocketbook.

"After being a pro for two months he learned that he couldn't afford to lose his temper," Myers said. "It costs you too much money."

Before playing on the Nike Tour, Ogilvie played on mini-tours, competing against players from all over the world. He not only enjoyed the thrill of playing professionally, but also had time to experience other cultures.

"After college I traveled to Asia, South America and Europe on the various tours they have," Ogilvie said. "[It was a] great experience and it helped me realize that professional golf was a pretty good deal.

Although a good deal now that he's on top, qualifying for the Nike Tour was a battle for Ogilvie and the many golfers who vie every year for its 70 slots.

This season, the once undersized Ogilvie is getting larger in stature, both on and off the course. Now standing at 5-10 and 150 pounds, he has emerged as one of the longer hitters on the Nike Tour, regularly hitting drives 15 yards longer than his competitors.

Joe's father, Norm, firmly believes that his son has improved tremendously and has yet to showcase his full abilities.

"He has matured and he has learned to concentrate a little better," he said. "I don't think he's reached his full potential-he's only 24 [years old]."

Hopefully for Joe Ogilvie, this season's performance is only a glimpse of the level of play he will carry over onto the PGA tour. There's no question that he has the talent and passion to succeed.

"Of all the guys I've had, I've never had a guy who loves the game as much as Joe," Myers said.

Share and discuss “Ogilvie takes Nike Tour by storm” on social media.