Netminder extraordinaire brings talent, maturity

Just over two years ago, Atli Knutsson came to America, leaving friends and family behind. Fresh out of Iceland and suffering from a broken leg that forced him to sit out almost all of the 1996 soccer season, Knutsson had quite a transition to make.

But make that transition he did. Two seasons later, the goalkeeper has become one of the top players for the No. 1 Blue Devils, allowing just one scant goal in seven games, including a shutout of then-No. 1 Clemson last Sunday. Knutsson's goals-against-average of 0.14 is second in the country.

"He had a very bad injury when he came here two years ago," coach John Rennie said of Knutsson. "By the end of last year and in the spring, he was playing as well as he ever has. He's finally healthy again, and you can really tell.... He's obviously a good player."

Like many other children in Europe, the senior began playing soccer early in life, joining his first team at the age of seven. Knutsson's best friends played on his high school and club teams and he says that this camaraderie was one of the primary reasons he stuck with the sport, continuing his soccer career on Iceland's under-21 National Team.

But Knutsson wanted more out of life than soccer-he wanted a college education. He felt that the University of Iceland did not offer the type of atmosphere he was looking for in a school, so he began considering universities in the United States. Knutsson desired admission to a university of a high academic caliber where he would have the opportunity to interact with the faculty and also play soccer. He jumped at the chance to go to Duke.

"As soon as I heard about Duke and that there might be a possibility to come here, I really worked hard to make it happen," Knutsson said. "I think John Rennie at one point said that I recruited Duke more than they recruited me."

The match proved to be a good one; Knutsson and Duke complemented each other nicely. The University offered Knutsson the educational opportunities he desired, while at the same time, he brought a new and inspiring mentality onto the soccer field.

Coming from Europe, where soccer dominates the sporting world, Knutsson brought to the team several years of international experience as well as an intense, dedicated attitude toward the game. He showed a work ethic that made him a role model for his teammates right from the start.

"Even the older players look up to Atli," senior defender Eric Otto said. "He's proven himself as a great goalie and a great leader. With his international experience, he's a really mature player. He treats the game like a job, and that's a great attitude to have. On the field, he's so calm and composed. When other players get upset, he settles them down."

Despite his maturity on the soccer field, adjusting to Duke was not a piece of cake for Knutsson. He missed his family, his former teammates from Iceland and his fiancee, whom he had to leave behind.

What's more, the academic pressures of taking difficult classes conducted entirely in his second language bordered on unbearable.

"My first semester was hell," Knutsson said. "I was taking some pretty tough classes and even though my English has always been pretty good, the transition to all English was tough."

His teammates helped ease the transition. According to Knutsson, the entire team made him feel right at home, especially some older players who have since graduated.

It is in part for these departed friends that Knutsson wants his team to succeed. Still stinging from last year's NCAA Tournament snub, the goalie hopes to avenge this slight not only for himself and his fellow Blue Devils, but also for former teammates.

More than that, Knutsson just wants to do his part to help the team, playing consistently well and making the saves the Blue Devils need every time he steps out on the field.

"I want to be consistent," Knutsson said. "I want to play at a level where I'm not the guy that's making a spectacular save and then letting in a [bad] goal."

While this will be the 23-year-old's last year of eligibility on the team due to NCAA age regulations, he will not graduate until December '99. A future in soccer is not out of the question for Knutsson, but at the moment he is, "not setting all [his] effort and energy on it."

For now, Knutsson intends to either get a job or attend graduate school after he receives his degree. One thing is for sure, though-whatever he chooses to do after he finishes up his Duke career, Knutsson is here to stay.

"The opportunities are so much better in the States," Knutsson said. "Iceland has many amazing, exceptional qualities, but a good job market is not one of them."

Share and discuss “Netminder extraordinaire brings talent, maturity” on social media.