Goestenkors named coach of the year again

In what has been a season of superlatives, it seems only fitting that Duke women's basketball coach Goestenkors would be named the Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year. For Goestenkors, however, her second Coach of the Year award in three years, came a bit unexpectedly, despite leading the Blue Devils to their first ever regular season championship and its highest national ranking in school history.

"I was surprised because there were so many great teams this year," Goestenkors said. "It's a great honor. The ACC is an excellent conference, and there are so many great teams and great coaches in the conference."

One person who was not surprised was senior Shaeeta Brown.

"I definitely think she deserved the award," said Brown, a member of Goestenkors' first recruiting class. "She was the best this year, leading us to our first championship ever."

This first title apparently loomed large in the minds of several Associated Press voters as Goestenkors finished ahead of quality competition for this year's award. N.C. State's Kay Yow led her storied program to a 16-1 start, its best ever; Sylvia Hatchell notched win number 500 and clinched her second-straight tournament title for North Carolina. Jim Davis led his Clemson team to 22 regular season wins and second place in the ACC Tournament.

Predicted by most to finish third in the conference this year, the Blue Devils far exceeded the expectations for what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Goestenkors overcame the biggest obstacle this season-the losses of Tye Hall and Kira Orr.

"The biggest role that coach Goestenkors played, now that we don't have a real go-to player is that she has let everyone be confident that it can be a total team effort," Brown said. "We did a lot of team-building this season."

Team was the most important factor Goestenkors stressed upon again receiving coach of the year honors, ranking this award beneath awards the team has received this year.

"[Coach of the year] is definitely at the bottom," she said. "Every team award is much more important than any individual award. That's what's been one of the best things about this team is that they haven't cared about individual rewards, and I think that's why we've been so successful this year."

As for the credit for this award, Goestenkors kept it far away from herself.

"This award really goes to the team, and most specifically to the assistant coaches," Goestenkors said. "Those are the people that really do all the work, many times behind the scenes and don't get any credit for it. And it goes to the players, because they are the ones who make it all happen."

Although Goestenkors may not take credit for the Blue Devils' successes in her six years here, Brown couldn't think of anyone who deserved it more.

"Through my five years, I've seen her grow more as a coach, definitely learn more about the game," Brown said. "I think she's done an excellent job with this program, and made a lot of great [decisions]."

There is no doubt Goestenkors' two Coach of the Year awards establishes her place in Duke history, but for Goestenkors her eyes are firmly fixed on the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

"We've got more things still to accomplish," said Goestenkors, referring to the tournament, "and hopefully we'll do them this year."

Yow finished second in the balloting, followed by Davis, Florida State's Sue Semrau and Hatchell.

Share and discuss “Goestenkors named coach of the year again” on social media.