Brand notches 14 points in 16 minutes in first game back

Six minutes and two seconds into the men's basketball team's rout of UCLA yesterday, a sudden boom erupted from the crowd.

Elvis had returned to the building.

Elton Brand stepped onto the court for the first time since Dec. 21, completing a remarkable comeback from a foot injury that was supposed to keep him out the rest of the year.

"I felt it would be tough coming back," Brand said. "It took awhile to get comfortable, and I don't know how long it will take to get back to the way I was. I try to treat it as if I never left."

Immediately after entering the game, Brand grabbed a defensive rebound and then received the ball in the low post on his first offensive possession. A quick double-team, though, forced Brand to throw an errant pass and commit a quick turnover.

The freshman from Peekskill, N.Y. settled down and played seven minutes in the first half, scoring his first basket on an inside post move through two defenders. He also added a free throw and three rebounds in the opening 20 minutes.

"Of course it was great to see Elton back," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "I didn't know how many minutes he would play. I don't know how many he did play, but he played a lot. I was very pleased."

Early on, Brand struggled establishing himself inside, as UCLA did a good job fronting him and keeping the ball out of the lane.

In the second half, Brand grew more comfortable. He scored on a pair of putbacks and two close jumpers in the paint and also drew an intentional foul. Brand finished the game with 14 points, 11 coming in the second half when he played nine minutes, and seven rebounds.

Perhaps his most impressive play was a steal late in the first half 35 feet from UCLA's basket. Brand took the ball and drove the length of the court, looking for a breakaway layup. Though he missed the shot, Brand's agility served notice that he's confident his foot is healed.

"I was surprised that I actually scored a few baskets," he said. "We played well. It was great to see the rest of the guys still playing their game."

Indeed, beyond Brand working himself back into playing shape, the biggest adjustment will be for Brand's teammates. Though Duke hasn't relied solely on the perimeter the last two months, having Brand back allows him and Roshown McLeod to create even more of a presence on the inside.

"He was just as effective the last few days as he's been all year," McLeod said. "He hasn't missed a beat."

Neither have the Blue Devils. Now with their big man back, Duke is ready for the final stretch and what lies beyond in March. Brand isn't back to old form yet, but 14 points and seven rebounds aren't a bad start.

"Probably in Elton's mind, he's been ready to play a week earlier at least," Krzyzewski said. "I just didn't want to push anything. He doesn't even get [the foot] taped. It shows that he has a lot of confidence. It certainly was good to see him muscle up a few."

Share and discuss “Brand notches 14 points in 16 minutes in first game back” on social media.