Alumnus donates money to fund new aquatic facility

University officials recently announced a $2.5 million dollar gift from Larry Taishoff, Trinity '55 and chairman emeritus of Broadcasting and Cable magazine, which will be used by the athletics department to improve the campus' aquatic facilities.

The gift will enable the University to construct the Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion, featuring a renovation of the pool currently located in Card Gymnasium, which was built in 1972.

The pavilion will be connected to the $20 million West Campus Recreational Facility on which the University began construction last summer. Other components of the pavilion include the installation of new mechanical systems, decks, whirlpools, food services and a lounge.

"Larry Taishoff, it might be said, has given us a strong finishing kick toward completion of this much-needed aquatics facility," said President Nan Keohane in a statement.

The aquatic center falls under the second phase of the University's plans to upgrade its athletic facilities. The initiative, launched in 1994, has two parts: The first part was completed in 1996 with the dedication of the Brenda and Keith Brodie Gymnasium on East Campus and the renovation of the Intramural Building located on West Campus. The second part consists of improvements to the recreation facilities located on West Campus.

"You have to give back to the places you went," Taishoff said in an interview. "I've always loved Duke."

The gift is actually a five-year donation, the terms of which award $500,000 yearly to the University. The funds will come from Taishoff and from the foundation he established in his family's name. The foundation currently contains Taishoff's personal fortune, and it is run by an independent board of directors.

Taishoff spent two seasons on the varsity swimming team during his time as an undergraduate at the University. "I wasn't the worst," he admitted, "but I wasn't the best."

He said he had long planned to give money to the University and made his donation after choosing from a list of improvements for which the University was seeking assistance.

One member of the men's varsity swimming team said the program will benefit from Taishoff's gift.

"I think it's very generous of him to donate that much money to the facilities and to the swim team," said Trinity senior and swimmer Kevin Karpinski.

Share and discuss “Alumnus donates money to fund new aquatic facility” on social media.