Blue Devils seek revenge against Illinois in San Juan Shootout

For the Duke women's basketball team and the student body there is one burning question that the first two days of the San Juan Shootout will force the Blue Devils to answer: What the heck is a Saluki, anyway?

Duke, along with the Southern Illinois Salukis (1-1) and four other teams will celebrate Thanksgiving San Juan style this year: turkey, stuffing and salsa, salsa, salsa. With an opening two-game slate against unranked Southern Illinois and the Detroit-Mercy Titans, though, the early action may prove to be more turkey than stuffing for the No. 19 Blue Devils (2-0). But at least there's always time for salsa.

The two first round games of this round-robin tournament may not be a cakewalk for the Blue Devils. Despite being unknowns, the Titans and the Salukis have nonetheless earned a wary eye from Duke.

"[The tournament] is going to be a challenge," junior guard Hilary Howard said. "There are a lot of solid teams in the tournament, and we know that to win it, we have to play really well."

After all, Detroit-Mercy won 23 games last season and earned an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament with a Midwest Collegiate Conference title. Although the MCC may not be the Atlantic Coast Conference, talent still translates into respect from Duke coach Gail Goestenkors.

"Detroit is a tremendously athletic team, though they are a little smaller than we are," Goestenkors said.

It will be this size advantage that the Blue Devils will look to utilize against the Titans to shut down their most potent scoring threat, center Stephanie Gray. The 6-foot senior paced the Titans last year, leading the team in both rebounding and scoring. Tabbed as a first team All-MCC selection, Gray leads an explosive offense that led the conference in scoring last year with 76.3 points per game.

But coming off of a win against 1997 NCAA Final Four participant Notre Dame on Saturday, Duke is primed to make a championship run in San Juan.

"I think we're pretty confident after our win against Notre Dame because everyone played really well," Howard said. "We're excited to be going into this tournament because there are a lot of good teams there, but we know we have to play extremely well to win this, which is our goal."

Run will be the key word if Duke is to bring home a championship. The Blue Devils will play three games in three days, something they are not used to.

"This is the first time we've had three games in a row since I've been here," Goestenkors said. "You have to give it everything you have because you obviously want to stay in the winners' bracket, but at the same time you have to make sure you use your bench. Our bench is going to have to really stand out for us and help us so that we can have our legs left for that third and final game."

With recent outstanding performances from the Duke bench, the depth factor should play into the Blue Devils' hands all the way into the championship game. There is no question that Duke is looking for revenge in the championship game-revenge for its second round defeat in last year's NCAA Tournament at the hands of fellow Shootout participant Illinois.

"Illinois is the team to beat in the tournament," Howard said. "And they are also the same team that ended our season, so we're hoping that we'll meet up with them in the finals."

Goestenkors realizes a tournament championship will require an even greater effort from the Blue Devils both offensively and defensively. Duke's ability to adjust will ultimately decide its lot in this tournament.

"We know we still have a lot of work to do," Goestenkors said. "And we're going to face three very tough opponents. Being able to adjust is going to be the key for us, not only adjust to our opponents and their strengths and weaknesses, but to the officiating so that we don't get everyone in foul trouble."

Although occasional lapses both offensively and defensively have plagued the Blue Devils' early season, Howard is nonetheless anxious to return to action in this tournament to see how her team is progressing.

"We just have to show a lot of composure and take care of the ball," Howard said. "It's going to be a real measuring stick. We're going to be playing some good defensive teams there and we're not going to be at home. I think this tournament will really show where we stand."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils seek revenge against Illinois in San Juan Shootout” on social media.