University program pairs Durham school children with mentors

This is the first installment of a five-part series featuring community outreach efforts between Duke and the city of Durham. Each installment is comprised of two articles: The first focuses on Duke's efforts and the second analyzes the benefits experienced by the community. Tomorrow's installment will examine the America Reads program.

Volunteers for Youth-the only student-mentoring program affiliated with the Community Service Center-allows members of the University community to adopt the siblings they always wanted.

In a program similar to Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America, VFY invites volunteers from all areas of the University to serve as role models for local children by taking them on day-long or overnight trips and helping them in school.

University members interested in volunteering their time go through an application and interview process. The CSC then matches the volunteers with community children based on their personalities and interests. The children are recommended to the program by principals, school teachers and counselors.

The first meeting between the child and his or her mentor always occurs at the child's home. After that, the mentor and child can choose the activities they want to do together.

"These kids haven't had a lot of positive influences in their lives from adults or older people, so we want to be able to provide that," said Trinity junior Ben Bohmfalk, student organizer of VFY, adding that the program currently has about 25 University members enrolled.

Those serving as mentors have the opportunity to spend time with children as both friends and tutors.

Trinity senior Melody Ray has been a mentor for two years. Although she had originally joined the program to help the community, she said VFY has provided her with many benefits in return.

"It's made me appreciate my life and also given me a friend who depended and counted on me," Ray said.

Ray has introduced her little sister, seven-year-old Lachelle Lenoir, to many activities Lenoir had never experienced, like trick-or-treating on Halloween and going on the rides at the North Carolina state fair. Winning a giant stuffed animal at the fair capped off Lenoir's state fair trip, Ray said, and helped her self-confidence.

Part of being a mentor, in many cases, also means helping students with their academic endeavors. To that end, Ray taught Lenoir how to read.

"Just knowing that I gave her a skill that will change the rest of her life has meant more than anything to me," Ray said.

But participating in the program can also be challenging, according to many of the mentors. Communicating with middle school students is frequently a feat in and of itself.

Trinity junior Rob Howard said that the most difficult part of being a mentor is getting the child to become comfortable and "open up." Howard is paired with a 15-year-old boy, Jason Lenoir.

"Because of his age, he's not very responsive," Howard explained. "He doesn't want to open up to some goofy white kid."

Howard's decision to become a mentor came as a result of a conversation with a child in the park this summer. Howard explained that he enjoyed talking "to someone that didn't have the same cynicism most people my age have" and arranged to join the program.

Although there are many motivations for joining a program like VFY, some volunteer out of a desire to help a child who may need a friend, some out of a desire to help the Durham community in general and some for a combination of reasons.

Aimee Reed, a post-doctoral fellow in organic chemistry, said she joined the program to become a positive role model.

"I came from a very poor family that was very male-dominated," Reed said, "and there weren't [any female role models]." Reed's little sister is also 15, and Reed said the problem with teenagers is often their difficult attitude.

"You can't really tell her what do to," Reed explained.

Share and discuss “University program pairs Durham school children with mentors” on social media.