Spectrum urges abolition of selective housing

Spectrum organization has fired the opening salvo in this year's upperclass residential discussion: Insisting that the current system is rife with inequity, it maintains that the situation can only be remedied by abolishing selective living.

Co-presidents Trinity junior Rhonda Binda and Trinity senior Dagmawi Woubshet announced Spectrum's intention to "pursue a policy for the decentralization of selective living" at a reception Sunday following Maya Angelou's speech to the freshman class.

In a subsequent interview, they added that the University must stop granting selective living groups residential spaces because, by doing so, it is endorsing a flawed and biased system that stands opposed to stated University ideals of diversity and inclusiveness.

"We have a system which doesn't allow two students, who are supposedly equal in the eyes of the University, access to the same living standards," Woubshet said. "The system segregates on the basis of income, race, gender, sexual orientation-you name it."

Binda emphasized that what most troubles her is the University's participation in this system. "It is one thing for people to segregate themselves, but how can the University support and further this?" she asked.

The University's failure to work proactively to take a stance on the issue, Woubshet continued, belies its stated interest in improving race relations at an institution voted ninth-worst by last year's Princeton Review student poll.

"In President Keohane's [convocation address], she emphasized to the freshmen how important racial interaction is, but if the University does not have a policy to back up such statements, it's all talk," he said. "To the contrary, the University is supporting these inequities. It's institutionalized racism at its best."

Vice President for Student Affairs Janet Dickerson said Spectrum's views were made known to the committee she has charged with addressing this issue and its analogs, the Upperclass Residential Planning Group. Without endorsing or censuring the idea of selectivity, she pointed out that it has been a long-standing part of the residential formula.

"[Selectivity] has been a tradition at Duke, on the former men's campus, since [its] establishment," Dickerson explained. "I note that the former women's campus never had selective living groups. While some students have benefited from the opportunities and the stability selective housing provides, other independent students have more limited options as a result.

"I would note that Duke has in several ways had 'institutionalized discrimination' since its founding," she continued. While some changes are being made in the system, we may not be able to change everything, to make every option equally available to all."

Woubshet and Binda hope this topic will be a prominent one in the upcoming efforts of the residential planning group. Trinity senior Chris Lam, a member of the committee, said the issue of selectivity is a natural topic for discussion because it is an integral part of the upperclass residential system. No specific in-depth discussion, however, has been devoted to delving into the topic.

"Issues of inequality and discomfort-and issues of brotherhood and organizational strength-have all been raised, but the committee wouldn't make a decision on the topic without extensive input from all parts of the community," Lam said. He added that the abolition of fraternities is "not on the table." And although rescinding the residential status of fraternities is technically among the myriad of options, he noted, the topic has not been given any sort of priority status.

Trinity junior and Black Student Alliance president Tobie Wilder said his organization is not ready to take a stance on the issue of selective living groups. It is, however, discussing how large a priority the selective living group issue should be in the upperclass residential system review.

"We're trying to clarify the different elements and assess just why it is that a lot of minority students don't care to live on West," he said, adding that his organization is also looking at disparities between policies on West and on Central Campus. For instance, he asked, why is there a 24-hour quiet policy on Central that makes it difficult to hold events like evening pool parties, whereas no such around-the-clock policy exists on West? Or, why is the West Campus subculture dominated by alcohol whereas Central's is not?

Wilder concluded that although he agrees with Spectrum's reasoning, he hopes all parties will make efforts to examine the situation in all its forms and look for solutions amenable to all groups.

Trinity junior and Brownstone president Drew Dropkin questioned the wisdom of Spectrum's position.

"Speaking on behalf of Brownstone, I am appalled by the assumption that Brownstone is perpetuating inequity on campus; any student can rush this dormitory, and the dorm boasts a wide diversity of races, religions and beliefs," Dropkin said. "Until the leaders of Spectrum join our community and understand the environment of friendship, respect, tolerance and trust that we share in Brownstone, I would discourage them from commenting on the equity of our selective house."

Trinity senior Rick Woods, president of Kappa Alpha order, lodged a more holistic criticism of Spectrum's position.

"We obviously do not have a flawed system, because Duke remains a unique, one-of-a-kind residential community with somewhere in the neighborhood of over 90 percent living on campus for all four years," he said. "If we are so flawed, why do we maintain this percentage? Why do we want to change the mostly positive atmosphere of fun, relaxation and intellectualism that exists on campus and exchange it for a lifeless, sterile campus, absent of upperclassmen who take all of their social interactions off campus?"

Moreover, Woods maintained, selective groups provide a residential living experience that is consistent with University ideals and superior to that found in most independent dorms.

"According to the [1997 University Bulletin], all selective houses are held to a standard and must undergo a biennial review process to ensure that we are meeting standards of faculty interaction, student-led programming, cultural programming, educational programming, community service, social interaction and quadrangle participation," he said. "How many independent dorms meet these official Duke standards for on-campus residential life?"

Trinity senior and Interfraternity Council Executive Vice President Jonathan Karen said Spectrum's position was "nothing new or surprising."

"University officials and most students... know that the selective house system is a success, bringing activity and livelihood to the campus," he continued. "We have reached out to Spectrum, themselves a selective house, to offer them aid in rebuilding their organization. Spectrum has in the past contributed to making Duke a better place, and their current troubles are unfortunate."

But Spectrum-which is a separate organization from the selective living group called Spectrum House-is by no means alone in its concerns. Trinity senior Raja Raghunath intends to launch an independent mass-education movement to "bring forth to students the idea that selective living groups on West Campus need to go."

"The hope," he said, "is that by empowering a broad array of students to call for change in the system, we can create a zone in which real change can indeed be effected."

Logistics of the campaign-titled "Desegregate Duke"-are still in the works, but Raghunath hopes to have it underway soon. He stressed that this program will work in conjunction with-rather than counter to-the residential planning group's efforts.

Trinity senior Alicia Overstreet, co-president of Mi Gente, said her organization was not yet ready to make an official statement. "As an individual, however, I can tell you that I agree with almost all the points in Spectrum's statement and that I believe the University would benefit tremendously from abolishing the selective house system," she said.

Spectrum has also charged that the residential planning group-which has three student representatives, all of whom are Duke Student Government-affiliated-does not adequately represent minority student views. Although DSG is ideally representative of all students, in reality, Spectrum's co-presidents said, it falls far short.

Dickerson said she has proposed adding up to three additional students to the committee and will meet with Maya Corey, president of the Intercommunity Council, about the appointment process.

"We hope that the additional students will reflect some of the 'minority' views not currently represented on the committee," Dickerson said, noting that there are already students of color on the committee.

Share and discuss “Spectrum urges abolition of selective housing” on social media.