Field hockey suffers slim 1-0 loss to Princeton

Unfortunately for the field hockey team, it's the big games that count.

The Blue Devils (2-2) lost the big game 1-0 to Princeton (2-2) on Sunday, after thrashing overtmatched Lehigh 13-0 on Friday.

"I thought [against Princeton] we played the best half of hockey that I've ever seen Duke play," head coach Liz Tchou said.

The Blue Devils got the opportunity to preview Princeton on Saturday, as Duke watched the Tigers rout Lafeyette 13-0.

Each coming off a dominating win, Duke and Princeton aggressively opened Sunday's game.

"It was pretty physical," junior forward Emily Ford said. "We both came out really ready to play."

As the teams battled on through the first half, Duke and Princeton were both unable to convert their scoring opportunities.

With 13:49 left in the first half, Princeton forward Molly O'Malley followed up on a penalty corner and shot the ball by sophomore goalkeeper Sarah Doherty, scoring an unassisted goal.

Duke held Princeton scoreless through the second half, but was unable to generate much offense of its own. The Blue Devils did not receive a single penalty corner in the second half, and Princeton held a 15-3 advantage in penalty corners in the game.

"I was really frustrated," Doherty said. "We definitely deserved a lot more corners. It seemed like as soon as [Princeton] got near the circle [the officials] called a corner for them. If it weren't such an even game, it wouldn't be so surprising."

Doherty, who redshirted last year, was a major factor in keeping Princeton scoreless in the second half-despite the Tigers' 21 shots on goal. It was Doherty's first true test since Duke's loss to James Madison on Aug 30, when she allowed four goals from six shots.

"I was really happy for Sarah," Tchou said. "I think this is the first game that she thought she was playing like herself. She was fending off attackers and I think her timing is back."

For the Blue Devils, Princeton's nationally recognized offensive line proved less problematic than anticipated.

"They were good, but I don't think they were any better than our offense," Doherty said. "They just got more opportunities because of the officials."

Duke had plenty of scoring opportunities on Friday night, when they matched the school record for goals scored in one game in their 13-0 trouncing of Lehigh-a record the Blue Devils set on Sept. 6 against Appalachian State.

One additional advantage that Duke had over Lehigh was that the Mountain Hawks generally play on grass. The faster pace of play on turf was more than Lehigh was accustomed to.

"They were a grass team, so their style of play was a little different," Ford said. "We had worked hard in practice that week, and it all came together for us."

Sophomore forward Corey Ceccolini scored her second hat trick this season, and forwards Melissa Panasci and Keri Dunn followed her lead with three goals each of their own. Also contributing to the goal tally was junior midfielder Mary Jo Reider, junior forward Caroline Helwig, and sophomore forward Johanna Ashley.

"We did really well preparing for Princeton against Lehigh," Tchou said. "Our intensity was there through the whole game. I don't like to ever sink down to a lower level, and we didn't against Lehigh."

In goal, Doherty split the duties with sophomore Jen Robb. Robb, who was a backup goalie for the women's soccer team last year, stepped in to help out after the unexpected departure of Brooke Fuller early in the season.

Share and discuss “Field hockey suffers slim 1-0 loss to Princeton” on social media.