Chuasiriporn leads Duke to ACC crown

STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. - Jenny Chuasiriporn is Tiger Woods.

Even though Chuasiriporn didn't dominate a field full of PGA champions, the sophomore did fight off a competitive field and the weather to help herself and the women's golf team win back-to-back Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament Championships this weekend. No. 5 Duke finished with an 897, defeating second-place Wake Forest by 10 strokes.

The tournament was held at The Eagles Landing Country Club in Stockbridge, Ga., site of next weekend's Chick-Fil-A LPGA Tournament, and Chuasiriporn looked as if she very well could return and play.

The third-ranked Chuasiriporn is the first golfer ever to win back-to-back conference championships. Going into the final round, Chuasiriporn held a tenuous three-stroke lead over Laura Phylo of Wake Forest. Phylo, ranked No. 11, was at five-under par at one point in the the final round. She had a chance to close to within one shot but was unable to capitalize as she missed an easy birdie putt on 15, and finished at three-under for the day. Chuasiriporn withstood the charge and won the tournament by three strokes

"It was pretty tough going into the back nine," Chuasiriporn said. "I knew Laura [Phylo] could win it. But it's pretty difficult to go five or six under when you need it. I figured I could par it out and I would win."

Chuasiriporn executed her strategy perfectly. She birdied three straight holes on the front nine and seemed to use her early play to relax herself and put pressure on her opponent.

Chuasiriporn started the tournament off Friday with a three-under par 69 to capture a six-stroke lead, as the Blue Devils stampeded the competition with a 23-stroke, first-day lead over Florida State and the rest of the field. The enormous gusts of wind did not seem to bother Duke, as four of the top five positions were held by Blue Devils.

"It was a treacherous day," Duke coach Dan Brooks said. "Especially for our first day of competition, to play in that kind of wind, and the greens being as fast as they were, I was happy with the team play."

Joining Chuasiriporn on the leader board for Duke were Alicia Allison, who was second, freshman Amie Lehman and senior Liz Lepanto, who were tied for third and fifth respectively, allowing Duke to shoot 293 for the day.

The wind had slowed to a stop on Saturday, and unfortunately so had Duke. Wake Forest, which was 27 shots behind after Friday, matched the Blue Devils opening round of 293 and climbed to within 11 shots.

"[Saturday] was a little more playable," Brooks said. "I knew the scores would be lower; I expected ours' would be lower as well. I was disappointed. I expected our scores to be in the 290's."

Duke, which shot 309 for the day, was once again led by Chuasiriporn. She shot a two-over 74, and saw her lead over Phylo cut in half to just three. Chuasiriporn bogeyed two out of her first three holes, but with the steady play that she showed throughout the tournament, played even par for the next 15 holes.

"I know two bogeys weren't the end of the world," Chuasiriporn said. "So I just hung in here and waited for some birdies to happen."

In the final round on Sunday, the Blue Devils were able to regroup and shoot a 295 to win the tournament by 10 strokes over the Demon Deacons.

"I was pretty sure the team would win-I have confidence in this team's ability," Brooks said. "It was really nice to see such a group come together and play well."

The Blue Devils were well-rewarded for their hard play. Chuasiriporn finished with a three-day total of 217 and earned a spot on the All-ACC team. Teammate Alicia Allison, who shot a 230, was also named to the team. The Player of the Year and Coach of the Year honors were swept by Duke as well, as Chuasiriporn and Brooks won in their respective categories.

Up next for Duke is the NCAA East Regionals, which take place in Illinois from May 8-10. The Blue Devils, led by Chuasiriporn, believe they have a good shot at winning regionals and playing deep into the NCAAs.

"We have a good shot at regionals," Brooks said. "We go into every tournament with a chance to win. We are going to go into regionals with that attitude.... Jenny's goal at the beginning of the year was to win three tournaments, she's won one and we have regionals and nationals left. Who knows, anything could happen."

Duke now looks ahead to the upcoming NCAAs hoping that its success in the ACCs can be parlayed into a memorable May.

Share and discuss “Chuasiriporn leads Duke to ACC crown” on social media.