Candidates for facilities and athletics address issues: Jeri Powell

If given the opportunity to improve University facilities, Trinity sophomore Jeri Powell said she plans to draw from her experience of living on all four campuses.

"I have a clear view of all the facilities and am familiar with them," she said.

Because of those residential experiences, Powell added that she can relate to a diverse group of students, including those who live on the all-freshman East Campus.

"For example, I would be able to relate to a fraternity because I have lived on West," Powell said "or to someone who lives in Trent because I lived there for a semester this year."

Powell cited her current involvement with DSG as the executive secretary, where her main function is to take minutes and to assist the vice presidents. She also played a role in conducting the residential life survey and sits on the student affairs committee.

Powell said the main factor behind her decision to run came partly from her own experience with housing problems at the University. She recounted an incident in which a bathroom ceiling in Trent Dormitory began leaking, forcing students out of the bathroom for weeks until it was finally fixed. She also mentioned other student complaints such as the amount of time it took to fix air conditioning units in Edens Quad this past fall.

"We all have stories, and we can do better than that," she said. "We need to establish a system so that students can communicate with maintenance and things can get fixed in a timely manner."

In addition to establishing these channels of communication, Powell plans to continue efforts made by Jamin Dixon to increase safety and lighting on campus.

She became involved with DSG after serving on President Takcus Nesbit's advisory board this past summer and was later appointed to the position of executive secretary.

"I feel really grateful," she said, "having had the opportunity almost handed to me," she said. Now that I have seen the potential in DSG, I am excited about serving at a higher level."

Share and discuss “Candidates for facilities and athletics address issues: Jeri Powell” on social media.