Officials expand program

Medical Center officials are expanding a current program aimed at training employees for higher level positions and hope to make it a permanent aspect of staff development.

The Mobility Program offers training primarily to service employees, enabling them to ascend to higher-level clerical positions. Twelve students graduated from the program in 1996, its pilot year, yet officials plan to increase the class size to 24.

"The challenge for us now is to maximize our success," said Art McCombs, associate vice chancellor for Medical Center Human Resources. "Ultimately we will make a recommendation to Mike Israel, the current chief executive officer for Duke Hospital, to make this a permanent program for overall staff development."

Development of the program resulted from the desire voiced by Dr. Mark Rogers, former chief executive officer of Duke Hospital, to improve staff development. A task force consisting of McCombs and Jim Goode, assistant chief operating officer for support services, wrote a proposal for the program.

Participants are drawn from various Medical Center departments, including food services, housekeeping and laundry services.

"We want to help them develop skills for entry-level clerical positions, " said Tara Stone, a training representative for the Training and Development and Human Resources Department. "It is an opportunity for some of our long-term employees to get themselves into a better career plan. Of the 12 participants, seven have moved into new positions or are being groomed for new jobs in the same departments."

Previous participants said that they benefited greatly from their experiences.

"I wanted to take advantage of the opportunities offered to me by Duke," said Glenda Davis, a clinical lab assistant in the department of cardiology, who formerly worked in food services. "I was always supported by the people in charge of the program, as well as the people participating and the people at my new job."

Peggy Keith, a surgical oncology employee, said she hoped to gain clerical skills that would make her eligible for a promotion.

"It was to my advantage," Keith said, "and it has helped tremendously. It was a great program, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I learned a lot about office skills and computers, and I got a promotion."

Those who participated said that they hope other employees have the same opportunity.

"I think that Duke needs to continue the program 110 percent. It was a wonderful opportunity," said Alice Pierce, an employee in the department of radiology who formerly worked in food services.

Participants have said that the program could be improved with changes in scheduling. Suggestions include shortening classes from three to two hours and holding class three times a week instead of two.

In addition, Pierce said the apprenticeship segment of the program, which allows employees to volunteer in fields in which they desire to work, should be increased to provide more hands-on experience.

Due to the program's popularity, all applicants must pass through a screening process that includes an information session, an application and an essay. In addition, they must include a letter of recommendation from a supervisor and their most recent performance evaluation.

Applicants must have worked for the Medical Center for at least a year before applying and must have been given consistently good performance ratings.

"Desire is one of the most important factors, which is why we include an essay in the application process," Stone said.

The selection committee then holds interviews with prospective participants after reviewing their applications.

Recent participants were required to meet twice a week for three hours over a six month period. Attendance is a mandatory part of the program.

Share and discuss “Officials expand program” on social media.