Fencing hosts elite field in year's only home meet

After spending the last two weekends traveling to Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the fencing team finally returns to its home turf to contend with several of the top teams in the NCAA. Duke will compete against Air Force, Columbia, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Stanford. The men fence Friday in Card gym starting at 8:00 a.m. and the women will compete on Saturday.

"It's definitely going to be big because it's our home meet," sophomore Amy McDowell said. "We have a sort of, 'Not in our house,' mentality about it, and we'll be fencing some of the most difficult teams in the country."

This weekend's meet will be a crucial one because not only will Duke face some of the best collegiate fencing teams in the country, it is also its last regular season competition. For several of Duke's fencers, the tournament is their last chance to secure a slot in the NCAA tournament later this spring.

"I think it's very significant," senior defending national champion Jeremy Kahn said. "There are a lot of people who are kind of borderline for making regionals. For those people it's very important that they do well."

The Blue Devils believe that their greatest strength is in epee, where Kahn is expected to dominate. Senior Paul Palmeri and sophomore Brian Hartman add depth in the event.

The women's squad, on the other hand, possesses many talented foil fencers. Juniors Jennifer Brockett and Ann Stewart and sophomore Sarah Hamilton could contend to pick up some critical bouts in the event.

Despite its depth of talent in epee and foil, Duke thinks that its greatest asset is not its physical ability but its dedication.

"Our spirit is very high," Duke coach Alex Beguinet said. "They are good technically and tactically. They've improved a lot since the beginning of the year. Their spirit is very high, and their will is very strong right now."

One key component that will have a profound effect on the outcome of the meet is the saber event. Duke's saber fencers have not tallied a stellar record so far this year, at least partly due to bad luck, according to Kahn. Led by rookie Michael Baughman, their performance could be the deciding factor for the Blue Devils on Friday.

"If saber can pick up some bouts, it'll be great," Kahn said. "I think a lot of our wins will depend on saber. If they do well, there's no reason why we can't beat any of the teams here."

There's no doubt that Duke will face its toughest competition of the season this weekend, but the Blue Devils are ready to take on anyone who gets in their way.

"We just want to fence our best," Beguinet said, "and hopefully the best can come out of it."

Share and discuss “Fencing hosts elite field in year's only home meet” on social media.