Blue Devils seek redemption in weekend at Charlotte

The women's basketball team did not merely back into the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament; it threw the gear into full reverse and flew backwards down I-85 for this weekend's annual ACC women's hoops extravaganza in Charlotte, N.C.

No self-respecting nationally-ranked team likes to end its regular season with two losses by a combined 50 point margin-neither does No. 25 Duke (17-9, 9-7 in the ACC).

"The only way we are going to feel better about ourselves is to go out and play very hard," said Duke coach Gail Goestenkors, who celebrated her birthday two days ago. "If we all do what we need to do, and understand and play our role to the best of our ability, the win will take care of itself."

From fighting with Virginia for second place in the ACC while riding a six-game winning streak a week ago, Duke enters the tourney as the fifth seed, having to play a talented Maryland team in the first round after dropping the last three games of the season.

The two teams split the season series, each winning close games at home. Since-injured Kelley Gibson scored 16 points as the Terrapins edged Duke 68-64 at College Park, and the Blue Devils returned the favor 66-57 in Durham behind a gutsy 20-point performance from Tye Hall.

The Terps feature one of the most dangerous and balanced frontcourts in the conference. Center Kalisa Davis and forwards Stephanie Cross and Sonia Chase each average over 10 points and five rebounds a contest. In its two games against Duke this season, the trio combined for 50 points and 30 rebounds.

"They're all very athletic, strong and tenacious, offensively and defensively," Goestenkors said. "They're a very tough matchup for us. We have to box them out and do a good job on the boards."

Maryland's starting backcourt of Lillian Purvis and Kim Bretz is steady but not spectacular. However, guard Tiffany Brown has been an offensive sparkplug off the bench. The 5-foot-6 freshman shattered the previous school record for season three-pointers with 45 trifectas.

"[Maryland's guards] are all pretty good shooters, so we'll have to get a hand in their face so they won't get easy looks at the basket." senior guard Kira Orr said. "Brown's got a little quickness where she can drive to the basket. I really have to play her straight up and try to contain her."

Though the Terps' starting five can match up with anyone, their short bench mirrors that of Duke. In their final regular season game against Clemson, Maryland used only seven players, and one of them for only five minutes.

Naz Medhanie and Windsor Coggeshall have played the bulk of the minutes off the bench for Goestenkors, who has been hesitant to use more than eight players in ACC contests. However, Goestenkors realizes that if the team hopes to win the tourney, quality minutes from non-starters are an absolute necessity

"I did tell the team if we win the ACC tournament, it's not going to be because of our starters," Goestenkors said. "So our bench has to really help out. Not necessarily with big numbers, they just have to be able to come in and play consistently for a few minutes to give our starters a break."

Due to its lack of depth, Maryland prefers to play the slow-down game offensively and use its scoring defense, the sixth best in the country, to wear down the opposition.

"On any given night, anybody can step forward for them," Goestenkors said. "They're one of the best defensive teams in the country, so we have to execute offensively."

Executing offensively has been a struggle lately for Duke, and especially for sophomore center Payton Black. After averaging 16.5 points per contest for the first 19 games this season. Black's scoring output in the last six contests has dwindled to a paltry 8.3 points per game.

"I don't think it's just Payton, I think we've all struggled lately, and part of it is a lot of pressure on all of us," Goestenkors said. "I don't think we've done a good job of getting her the ball inside. We have to go back to our strengths, which is our post players, and give them the opportunity to score."

Sophomore point guard Hilary Howard echoes Goestenkors's desire to feed the ball inside to Hall and Black.

"Tye and Payton work so well together, they're the strength of our team," she said. "I need to make a conscious effort to look for them more to try to get the other players in foul trouble by getting them the ball."

Despite Duke's recent dilemmas, Maryland coach Chris Weller is not placing too much emphasis on the Blue Devils' recent slide.

"They have so many weapons, tremendous outside shooting with Orr and Howard and their post play is very strong," Weller said. "The best thing their posts do is run the court very, very well. They're very mobile post players. They present the total package."

Those packages will be tested severely on defense against Maryland's potent frontcourt. Despite the Duke frontcourt's athleticism, stronger opposing centers have enjoyed success against the Blue Devils in the paint. North Carolina's Tracy Reid, N.C. State's Chasity Melvin and Clemson's Jaci Stimson have all had big nights against Duke.

To prevent similar disasters in the tournament, last week's practices focused on better defensive play and rebounding.

"We need to rebound well, that's been one of our problems in the past," Howard said. "We're going to concentrate on giving them one shot. We had a good week of practice this week, and I think we're going to be ready to play."

The game is also a homecoming of sorts for Orr and freshman Peppi Browne, both of whom hail from Maryland. However, Orr does not believe that will affect her play in any way.

With the Blue Devils a likely lock for the NCAA Tournament, regardless of their performance in the ACC tourney, the prize at stake is the home court in the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament. The top four seeds in each region earn the advantage. Goestenkors feels an appearance in the finals will be enough to assure the Blue Devils of at least one more game in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"We were so disappointed with the way we ended the season at home that we want another chance to play at home," Goestenkors said. "But more than that, I think it's about pride. We're playing for pride and to really redeem ourselves. We did not finish the season strong, so we've got something to prove."

If the Blue Devils defeat Maryland, they will probably face No. 1 seed North Carolina, which has suffered only two losses all season.

"We can win the tournament," Goestenkors said. "We know we can play with anybody in the conference, and we can beat anybody on any given night. We have no problems with [having to face Carolina], it just has to be the right situation."

Zachary Davis contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils seek redemption in weekend at Charlotte” on social media.