Volleyball bids fond farewell to seniors with home win

By JAMAL MIDDLEBROOKS

and MICHAEL KING

It wasn't a pretty win, but the Blue Devils got the job done Friday night, downing William and Mary 3-1 in their final home match of the year. The Cameron crowd bid farewell to seniors Laura Krech, Liz Neuhaus and Jenny Stadler as they appeared in the final home match of their careers.

Duke (12-10, 8-6 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) jumped out of the gate in the first game, rolling to a 15-1 victory. The second game was a different story however, as the Tribe (15-14) battled their way to a 15-10 win.

"William and Mary picked up the intensity [in the second game] and I don't think they had a great start to the match," Blue Devil coach Linda Grensing said. "In the first game we played really steady, we took care of little things, we were well disciplined, we had the kills and we had good results out of that. In the second game we relaxed, and that's okay, but we became very undisciplined and the little things really started to show."

The Blue Devils rebounded to capture the last two games, and the match, 15-7, 15-9. Leading the way to the victory was junior Maureen Reindl with 21 kills and 22 digs, hitting at an impressive .396 clip. Also stepping up for Duke was freshman Dominique Phillipp who finished with a career best 19 kills. Phillipp started in place of injured freshman Sarah Peifer, the team's leader in kills. Peifer sat out Friday after dislocating her left shoulder Tuesday against North Carolina.

In defeating the Tribe, the Blue Devils gave their seniors an all-important win in their last appearance in Cameron.

"I didn't care how we got [the win] just as long as we got it," Neuhaus said. "I'm really going to miss this place. It's a beautiful gym, and it's amazing to play in and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to play here for four years."

Neuhaus has steadily improved throughout the season, starting off mostly as a role player and evolving into an everyday starter.

"Liz has done a great job over the course of the last month really steadying out and playing like a senior will play," Grensing said.

In doing so, Neuhaus has become a very vocal leader on the floor for Duke.

"I've gotten a lot louder," Neuhaus said. "I've gotten a lot more emotional. I enjoy the game a lot more this year, maybe because it's my last year. I don't know."

Krech, who has played extensively this year as a ball-control specialist, had mixed emotions about her last game.

"I'm definitely sad that this is my last home game," Krech said. "It's been four years of ups and downs, but overall it's been a positive experience, and I think it's sad but I'm ready for it to be my last year here. I don't think my body could take any more."

Krech has taken plenty of abuse, especially this season, hitting the floor diving for every free ball.

"Laura is always a solid ball handler for us," Grensing said. "If you don't have her it's devastating, but if she's out there you may not notice her as much."

While her specific role has limited her playing time this year to back line duty, Krech feels she is doing her part to help the team.

"I really like my role, I'm really comfortable with it," Krech said. "I think I fit in really well with this team. I've always been happy with Linda and her talking with me and my role on the team."

The last of the trio, Stadler, has spent just one year with the team after walking on last spring. "If Jenny had three more years she would be a great player," Grensing said. "From the time she's had compared to everyone else she's done a great job."

As a three-year member of the Duke Track and Field team, Stadler brings both athletic ability and presence to the volleyball squad.

"Jenny is a huge leader on the team," Grensing said. "She works harder and harder every day...she's always got a smile on her face and there is just nothing that is ever going to get her down. Other people see that and it starts to rub off."

In bidding farewell to Cameron, the always inspirational Neuhaus had some parting words of wisdom for her teammates.

"My advice to the younger players is to not to take any of it for granted. You've only got four years-enjoy every hellish minute of it."

Share and discuss “Volleyball bids fond farewell to seniors with home win” on social media.