Recruiting rolls on for Blue Devils

As expected, 6-foot-8 power forward Elton Brand made his commitment to the men's basketball team official Thursday afternoon. And the good news continued for Duke later in the afternoon.

His commitment is the third for the Blue Devils in three weeks, and gives them what will likely be rated the top class in the country. All of this has occurred before the top prospect on Duke's list, 6-foot-10 center Chris Burgess of Irvine, Calif., has weighed in with his decision.

Burgess, rated as one of the top two high school players in the country by most recruiting services, was encouraged by Brand's decision.

"I'm excited that he committed to Duke," Burgess said. "I have no problems with it at all. It won't affect my decision at all."

Burgess noted that the two have very different styles of play. Brand is an inside player who seldom shoots from beyond 14 feet and is perhaps the top rebounder among high school seniors, while Burgess can go either inside or outside.

Burgess mentioned that he had thought about the caliber of the class that Duke would be bringing in if he also committed. He will make his decision public on Nov. 18, two days before the early signing period ends.

"It motivates me even more to come to Duke with the type of people that they already have coming in there," Burgess said.

Burgess has cancelled his last official visit to UCLA because of the turmoil that has occurred in the Bruin basketball program in the past week, including coach Jim Harrick being fired. Thus Burgess is left with three schools on his list-favorites Duke and BYU and longshot Kentucky. Barring a last-second change of heart, Burgess, a Mormon, notes that it will come down to Duke and BYU.

"It's religion versus competition," Burgess said.

Share and discuss “Recruiting rolls on for Blue Devils” on social media.