Women's soccer journeys deep into the heart of Texas

Redemption is the goal for the women's soccer team this weekend.

The Blue Devils have a chance to prove that they are still fighting at the Texas Challenge, an annual tournament hosted by Southern Methodist University. Friday, Duke (6-7-1, 1-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) will play No. 7 Texas A & M (14-1-0), and Sunday Duke will take on Southern Meth-odist.

Although the Texas Challenge is an exhibition-style tournament that does not have an official winner, it will be a crucial opportunity for the Blue Devils to bounce back from their last two games, which were disappointing losses to N.C. State and Vanderbilt.

"At this point in the season, we're struggling to get a playing rhythm," Duke coach Bill Hempen said. "We're looking to gain some momentum here at the end of the year. We've worked a lot on styles of play and runs... for our attacking players. We'll hopefully create some more chances for ourselves in the games this weekend."

Since the tournament will take place at SMU, the Mustangs will have the home-field advantage in Sunday's game. However, Texas A&M presents a more formidable opponent. In addition to its impressive record and national ranking, the Aggies will play a particularly intense game as they seek to avenge their 2-1 loss at the hands of Duke last year.

"This is going to be a very high pressure, very emotional game for Texas A&M," Hempen said. "Since we beat them last year, I think they're looking to set the record straight."

After a week of hard practices, the Blue Devils are determined to make a good showing this weekend. In spite of a season that has been somewhat disappointing so far, they believe that their confidence and cohesiveness will motivate them not only to win their upcoming matches this weekend but also to finish the rest of their season victoriously.

"Our strength is our camaraderie, and the fact that we're not going to give up, as well as the fact that I think we have yet to show a lot of people how good we are," junior co-captain Lauren Cyran said.

To prepare for the Texas Challenge, Duke has been working on revising its strategy and improving its attack. During the remainder of the season, Duke intends to refine its style of play as a team.

Also, instead of being continually forced to defend their own goal line, the Blue Devils hope to demonstrate more offensive power than they have in previous contests. By controlling the tempo of the game and keeping the ball on their front line, they hope to be able to create-and execute-more scoring chances for themselves.

"Right now I think we need to concentrate on how we're going to attack, rather than how we're going to defend," Cyran said.

Although every game from this point on is an important one, Duke feels that there is quite a bit at stake in this tournament. Playing the role of underdog has become a familiar one for the Blue Devils this season,and the Texas Challenge will be an opportunity for the Blue Devils to contend with two difficult opponents. If they can bring home two victories, they will prove to the rest of the nation that they have what it takes to overcome adversity.

"Right now I think that around the country, people are thinking that Duke might not have enough this year," Hempen said. "We hope to go out there and show them that they couldn't be farther from the truth."

Share and discuss “Women's soccer journeys deep into the heart of Texas” on social media.