Women's soccer comes up short in Texas

The women's soccer team's fall break journey deep into the heart of Texas probably resembled most students' vacations. By the time one started having fun, it was time to go back to school.

After falling to No. 7 Texas A&M on Friday 3-0, the Blue Devils finished the adidas College Classic with a 0-0 tie against SMU.

"We're very disappointed that we didn't win," junior forward Andi Melde said. "It is frustrating not to win, but we played one of our best games against SMU. It was good for confidence for the rest of the season."

On Friday night, Duke (6-8-2 on the season, 1-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) ran into a very hot Texas A&M team (15-1) that had won six straight games. The Aggies' Diana Rowe broke the ice by scoring with the first half's lone goal. In the second half, A&M tallied two goals within six minutes of each other that put the game out of reach. Despite outshooting the Aggies 14-7 and earning a couple of breakaways, the Blue Devils continued to struggle offensively as they failed to tickle the back of the net.

"Texas A&M is a good team playing with an incredible amount of confidence late in the season and we are not," head coach Bill Hempen said. "It is really a matter of them finishing three of their seven opportunities and we couldn't convert any of our fourteen."

On the day off, Hempen worked on tightening up his defense in order to prevent a repeat performance by the opposition. Sophomore midfielder Kristy Whelchel, Duke's leading scorer with eight goals, volunteered to move back into quasi-center-back position and reinforce the back line. The change also allowed for the emergence of freshman midfielder Kim Daws. Daws played the entire SMU game save for the initial moments.

And on Sunday, the Blue Devils clobbered any attack that SMU could muster. The Mustangs could only produce six shots and were shut out in the corner kick department. However, the inability to finish off scoring chances still plagued Duke.

The Blue Devils earned 18 shots and five corners but somehow managed once again to prove Hempen correct when he said, "this is the unluckiest team in the history of my playing and coaching career." During one scoring opportunity, senior midfielder Mandy Lehr's shot ricocheted off the post and behind the Mustang goalie before emerging harmlessly on the other side of the goal.

"I tell them to keep shooting and keep trying," Hempen said. "But the harder you push, the harder it usually becomes to get a goal. One of these days, we are going to score a bunch of goals. I just hope that when it finally does happen it won't be too late."

This weekend places the Blue Devils in a precarious situation, as they still maintain a realistic chance of making the NCAA tournament. Duke simply must win out in its last four games. Duke plays unranked Florida and the No. 8, 9 and 10 teams in Maryland, Clemson and Virginia. Victories over these ranked opponents combined with a schedule listed forty points above North Carolina's in toughness of opposition would give the Blue Devils a strong case for an invitation to go dancing.

"We need to win, but we still have a chance," Melde said. "We just need to stay focused and keep positive. It's still fun to go out and play."

Share and discuss “Women's soccer comes up short in Texas” on social media.