Parents consent to surgery for daughter

Steve and Patricia Stout, parents of 10-year-old Rachel Stout-a Fort Worth, Texas girl diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis-finally signed a consent form Saturday evening authorizing doctors at the Hospital to remove Rachel's diseased colon surgically.

Richard Gladstone, Rachel's court-appointed attorney, said he had received confirmation from Lawrence Friedman, the Stouts'' attorney, that the child's parents had signed the release form following a final conference with doctors late Saturday. Although he was not sure when the surgery would be scheduled, Gladstone said he was under the impression that it would be "very soon."

Under the terms of a joint-custody agreement with Rachel's parents, Dallas Child Protective Services had the right to authorize treatment for Rachel if the parents had failed to do so within 48 hours of a final recommendation by her doctors. Gladstone said, however, that CPS allowed the parents some extra time to have a final conference with doctors at the Hospital before making their decision.

Robin Kinder, a spokesperson for CPS, said Thursday that CPS was ready to approve the recommendation of Dr. William Treem, director of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition, if Rachel's parents did not consent within 48 hours. Dr. Treem is the physician responsible for Rachel's care while she is at the University.

Rachel first became the focus of a custody battle Sept. 1, when her father, Steve Stout, removed her from the Children's Medical Center in Dallas against medical orders. Steve refused to allow his daughter to undergo the surgical procedure prescribed by Dr. Robert Squires, Rachel's pediatric gastroenterologist.

After unsuccessfully seeking alternative treatment for his daughter at the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children, Steve Stout was forced to return to Texas where CPS officials had gone to court and obtained custody of Rachel, thereby gaining the authority to make medical decisions on her behalf.

Last week, Rachel's parents and CPS officials came to an agreement to share custody of the child. Both parties agreed that the evaluation of Rachel's condition made at the Hospital would be final.

Share and discuss “Parents consent to surgery for daughter” on social media.