Special teams plays giant role in Blue Devils' home loss

There's always that extra element that separates the winners from the losers.

On Saturday Duke was, believe it or not, not that far behind the Northwestern Wildcats. In fact, the Blue Devils had their chances in the first half to take control of the game. But the Wildcats took advantage of the one element of the game that often settles a distant third behind offense and defense-special teams.

You can start with the opening kickoff, when Hudhaifa Ismaeli took a Sims Lenhardt kick at the two-yard line and ran it back 44 yards. One Darnell Autry 30-yard touchdown scamper later, and the Wildcats already had a 6-0 lead. It was just six because placekicker Brian Gowins' extra point smacked the left upright and bounced harmlessly away.

Gowins quickly redeemed himself with field goals from 33 and 30 yards.

The fans, frustrated by the slow start and smelling a blowup, chose not to dance the "Macarena" during a timeout with their team down by 12.

But the Blue Devils rallied on a six-yard touchdown pass from Matt Rader to Jeff Hodrick. Darius Clark then intercepted a pass from Wildcat Steve Schnur and the Blue Devils appeared on their way. But Duke's chance to cut the deficit to two was thwarted when Lenhardt's 37-yard field goal try was blocked by a streaking Kyle Sanders.

"It's an embarrassment to be down there close with a field goal that can get you within two points of the game and then let somebody come right up on the inside," Duke head coach Fred Goldsmith said. "I don't understand that. We just have to examine that a little more closely and see what was due to the other team's effectiveness and what was due to poor technique, poor play and whatever it might've been."

There is a reason why Northwestern catapulted from also-ran to Big Ten champion in just one season. The Wildcats have the stars in Autry, linebacker Pat Fitzgerald, Ismaeli and others. But they also have the Brian Musso's who enjoy making a difference on special teams.

"We pride ourselves in our special teams' performance," Musso, the Wildcats' punt returner said. "I think that shows a lot about the character of our team."

Holding a narrow 18-10 halftime lead, the enthusiasm and character that Musso described came to the forefront. The Blue Devils' Scottie Montgomery fumbled the opening kickoff of the third quarter into the open arms of Gowins. Momentum that Duke had gained by kicking a field goal to end the first half was crushed.

Free safety Tawambi Settles momentarily saved the day by jumping so high on Gowins ensuing field goal that the ball hit Settles in the chest.

But the Wildcats turned another big run by Autry into a 25-10 lead and their special teams stepped up once again to seal the day.

Musso took a punt by John Krueger and weaved through the Duke pursuers for 51 yards and a back-breaking touchdown. The strong surge by Northwestern's special teams broke open a close game and sent fans heading for the exits.

"Just the way we came out in the second half, special teams forced a turnover immediately," Northwestern head coach Gary Barnett said. "Then there was Musso's punt return. Special teams, in the end, was the difference in the game."

Barnett, in his post-game press conference, could not deny the fact that Duke was able to move the ball on offense. A few breakdowns in the red zone prevented the Blue Devils from scoring when they were down 6-0 and 12-7. And Autry felt the Duke defense, with the exception of the running back's three 30-plus yard runs, played with a level of intensity and aggression that he hadn't expected.

Yet before the Duke offense or defense could take a breath in the second half, the Wildcats had taken over on the plays Musso labeled transitional. Instead, the special teams were turned from transition to decision.

"Those things help you win games," Musso said. "And if you win the special teams then you're usually going to win the game."

Duke did not win this game for a number of reasons. The Blue Devils are a young team and made a few key turnovers that sunk the ship. A youthful team cannot afford to give up big plays and Duke did that too many tines on special teams this Saturday.

The Wildcats, on the other hand, are a veteran squad that knows how to win the big games. They demonstrated their prowess, dominated the game of field possession and, as a result, head into next week with their season back in shape.

The Blue Devils have not been afforded such a luxury.

Share and discuss “Special teams plays giant role in Blue Devils' home loss” on social media.