N.C. State looks to rebound from down year in 1995

For the first time in seven long seasons, the N.C. State Wolfpack spent the New Year's holiday in an unfamiliar place-at home.

The streak of consecutive bowl appearances dating all the way back to December of 1988 officially ended following a dismal 3-8 final record. Not only was the postseason a bust, but the regular season also saw the Wolfpack get shut out in the friendly confines of Carter-Finley stadium for the first time since its inauguration. Add to that a 2-6 Atlantic Coast Conference record and an embarrassing 77-17 blowout loss to Florida State in the third week of the season, and it's no surprise that the Pack spent Christmas getting burnt on the beach rather than on the field.

"You always try to learn from the year before," head coach Mike O'Cain said. "I don't think we played totally as a team last year at times. You've got to play together. We played real inconsistently and that had a lot to do with the make-up of our team. We were very immature and very inexperienced."

The Pack's immaturity, inconsistency, and inexperience were glaring throughout the entire year. The nightmares began in the preseason with an alleged assault incident, in which charges were never filed, against five Wolfpack players. The inconsistency was evident in the defense's ability to stop the opposition from scoring.

The inexperience, well, that hit the Wolfpack in the most vital area-winning.

As for the 1996 version of the Wolfpack attack, it will aim to reverse its fortunes behind the play of a strong backfield and a resurgent defense. In addition, O'Cain feels that what the players learned from last year's downfall has carried over into the offseason and the development of this year's squad.

"We have tried to put a disappointing 1995 behind us and get on with 1996," O'Cain said. "The work of this group, the attitude which they've displayed, the camaraderie... we have had probably 60 guys that have stayed over the summer working out together. You see groups of guys in the weight room, and running, and throwing, and doing those things. That's always a good, positive sign."

Getting most of the attention on offense will be 5-11, 185 lb. tailback Tremayne Stephens. Although Stephens has yet to gain the recognition of other star ACC backs such as Warrick Dunn of Florida State or Leon Johnson of North Carolina, he still cruised through the 1995 season to the tune of 849 yards and five rushing touchdowns. His crafty moves and slick, but hard-nosed style, make him one of the most promising junior threats in the conference.

Alongside Stephens in the backfield will stand the human Volkswagon, 6-0, 243 lb. senior Rod Brown. His mere presence and stature were at times overshadowing last year. The 526 yards he gained on the ground last year combined with his 25 career receptions make him far more than one-dimensional.

The defense of the Pack will look to gain back the respect it all but lost the previous year. The middle should be greatly improved as the entire starting linbacker trio returns to actually try and make a tackle. In addition, the secondary will be solid despite the fact that two players, James Walker and Ricky Bell, both have gone on to the NFL. Kenny Harris, a 6-2, 200 pound Durham native, is a potential star at strong safety. Also back defensively will be three other starters from a year ago. Several players on both sides of the ball will need to step up this season if the 'Pack is going to have the success that it is looking for.

"Leaders and go to [guys]...I think those are two different types," O'Cain said. "I think Tremayne Stephens is a leader but he is more of a go to guy. [He is] a potential star. George Williams is a big, positive leader. Kenny Harris, our captain, Jimmy Grissett, our captain...we've got a group of guys that are going to step up as leaders."

There will, however, be some glaring holes to fill from last year, which may be a blessing in disguise. Gone is Terry Harvey, the school's most prolific passer who set Wolfpack records in passing yards, touchdowns, and completions. His absence may be missed most on the team as only Jose Laureano, a 6-2, 200 lb. sophomore, has ever seen any action during a game. The other two quarterbacks, redshirt freshman Jamie Barnette and junior college transfer Colin Harris, also figure to vie for playing time. Also missing will be All-ACC second-teamers Steve Keim and Jonathan Redmond, who both helped to open the holes for Stephens as guards last season.

Luckily for the Wolfpack, coach O'Cain feels that 1996 will display a more team-oriented approach, one which will need solid contributions from both proven and unproven players.

"I don't think there is one aspect [of the team] that really stands out," O'Cain said. "I feel we have a really good running back, very good wide receivers, and are good at linebacker. We do not have a tested quarterback. [We have little] depth in the offensive and defensive linemen. We're talented starter-wise on both offensive and defensive lines but we do not have quality depth at this point in time."

If the 'Pack is successful in proving it has found a team concept, and if it can contain the rest of the ACC's offensive powers, then it might have a chance of doing something this postseason other than sitting at home.

Share and discuss “N.C. State looks to rebound from down year in 1995” on social media.