Blue Devils corral first wins of season in Chapel Hill

Perhaps the women's soccer team should consider playing more games at the other end of Highway 15-501.

Competing this weekend in the Adidas/Eurosport Carolina Classic, the Blue Devils notched their first two victories of the season, defeating Stanford 3-0 on Friday and UCLA 2-1 on Sunday. Fetzer Field at the University of North Carolina has become a home away from home for coach Bill Hempen's squad, which has now played three of its first six games in Chapel Hill.

The two wins were extremely gratifying for Hempen, whose team had entered the season ranked No. 6, but dropped their first three matches. The Blue Devils' frustration hit a high point when Hempen was ejected from last Wednesday's loss at UNC-Greensboro.

"It's about time!" said Hempen after Friday's victory over the sixth-ranked Stanford Cardinal. "I told them just to go out relax, play and enjoy it.

"They're still learning. They're learning how to play, they're learning how to be successful."

Freshmen Sherrill Kester and Kim Cahill both tallied their first collegiate goals, and sophomore Kristy Whelchel added a third as Duke put the first match away before halftime. Duke controlled the pace of play throughout, with solid defense and an opportunistic attack keyed by Kester and senior Mandy Lehr.

Both Whelchel and Kester scored off of goal-mouth scrambles as the Blue Devils fought aggressively in the offensive end. Lehr set up Duke's third goal with a blast from nearly 40 yards out that struck the crossbar and ricocheted to the feet of Cahill, who pushed it past the Stanford goalie.

Hempen noted that Cahill has been the surprise of the talented freshman class, earning starts in three of the first five matches. He also pointed out the play of Kester and defender Liz Speights as very impressive.

"As time goes on, I think Sherrill will be more and more comfortable with what she is capable of doing against whatever opponent is marking her. She's gonna be a big-time player," Hempen said. "Liz Speights is gonna be a rock for the next four years in the back."

While Friday's victory was sweet relief for the Blue Devils, Sunday's 2-1 decision over the Bruins was less than satisfying.

Senior forward Mandy Manzanares scored the decisive goal in the 65th minute when she beat UCLA goalie Lindsay Culp with a chip shot from the top of the penalty area. Lehr set up the goal with a lob pass that cleared the Bruin defense and found Manzanares on a breakaway.

"The keeper was coming out and I thought I was gonna get there before her," Lehr said. "I just tried to loft it over her head into the goal."

With the goal, Duke managed a victory, despite a performance that frustrated both Hempen and his players. Missed opportunities, poor timing, and fatigue all nagged the Blue Devils, who played three games last week.

"We didn't play too well in the first half," Manzanares said. "We basically tried to pick it up in the second half-dig a little deeper and play a little harder."

Although it tallied seven shots, Duke managed just a single goal in the first half. That score came as Kester won a loose ball in the penalty area and converted from close range in the 29th minute. Things picked up slightly in the second half for the Blue Devils, who managed several solid attempts on goal before Manzanares found the net with the game-winner.

"It wasn't pretty, but we'll take it," Hempen said. "We've been through it all [emotionally]; we're just trying to find out about ourselves right now. They're hanging in there. We just hope we can continue to play well as the season goes on. The schedule doesn't get any easier, though."

Hempen was referring to this Saturday's matchup with fourth-ranked Portland. The Blue Devils will play host to the Pilots-last year's NCAA runners-up-Saturday at 1 p.m. at Duke Soccer Stadium. The match will be a stern test for a Blue Devil squad still trying to find consistency in their play.

"We're not satisfied, let's say that," Manzanares said. "We've just gotta come out and play our best every game."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils corral first wins of season in Chapel Hill” on social media.