Men's track finishes low at ACCs

The men's track and field team scored 21 points at the Atlantic Coast Conference meet in College Park, Md., this weekend.

Senior Miles Hall was Duke's top performer in the meet, placing fourth in the 1,500 meters on Saturday with a time of 3:56. Hall, who was the defending champion in the event, has been hampered by leg injuries this spring.

Earlier on Saturday, freshman Jesse Allen added four points to the Blue Devils' score with his 52-second run in the finals of the 400-meter hurdles. In a preliminary heat, Allen ran 51.70 seconds, missing the NCAA provisional qualifying mark by only five hundredths of a second. His time is the second fastest in Duke history.

Duke's hardest-earned four points came from sophomore Rob West, who placed fifth in the decathlon, a two-day, 10-event competition. West's 6,466 points earned him 5th place at the tournament and second place all-time at Duke. Senior Jeff Smith placed ninth in the event with a total score of 5,846 points.

Senior Doug Kling provided Duke with three more points with his 1:54 showing in the 800 meters.

Both Kling and Hall lost their tough races to Georgia Tech's David Krummenacker.

"They both could have settled for second, but because they were seniors, they laid it on the line, and ran gutsy races," said assistant coach Norm Ogilvie.

On Friday, junior Matt Haywood earned the Blue Devils' first three points of the meet by placing sixth in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.

Share and discuss “Men's track finishes low at ACCs” on social media.