Professor speaks at Black History Month celebration

Using her status as a replacement speaker as a metaphor for the actions of many black Americans, English professor Karla Holloway discussed some of the past and present contributions of black Americans at a breakfast Feb. 24 commemorating Black History Month.

Holloway, currently the interim director of the African & Afro-American Studies program, delivered the keynote address to an audience of nearly 100 Durham officials, representatives and residents in the North Carolina Mutual Insurance Building. She replaced Julius Chambers, chancellor of North Carolina Central University, who could not attend the event.

Many blacks made contributions to the Civil Rights movement by "standing in" for others who could not participate, Holloway said. As an example, Holloway cited Ruby Bridges, one of the first blacks to integrate the Louisiana public school system. "[Bridges] was a stand-in for hundreds of children who couldn't be there," Holloway said.

Those early participants also represented future generations, Holloway said. Her grandparents attended the 1963 Civil Rights march in Washington, D.C., but Holloway's mother would not allow her to attend the event. "[My grandparents] were stand-ins for each one of us in this room-even those who weren't born yet," she said.

Holloway also credited history Professor Emeritus John Franklin, who introduced her, for his contributions to the Civil Rights movement. "John Hope Franklin must have been born standing in," she said.

Despite the work of these and other people, Holloway said that many problems that plagued black Americans in the 1950s and 1960s are still present. "There are some whose pain is so great they have enough trouble standing up, let alone standing in," she said. Americans must unite to solve these problems, she said.

Organizers said the event succeeded beyond their expectations. "This audience is a wonderful representation of the city of Durham and [of] Orange County," said Sam Reed, one of the event coordinators and publisher of the Trumpet of Conscience, a Durham newsletter. The event also celebrated the publication's tenth anniversary.

Those who attended the event also responded enthusiastically. "It was wonderful. The event was a real bringing together [of the community,]" said Becky Heron, Durham County commissioner. Heron presented a proclamation declaring February to be Black History Month in Durham.

Heron said she was impressed with Holloway's speech. "I'm looking forward to getting to know [Holloway] better," she said.

Reed echoed Holloway's concerns for the future. "I'm absolutely convinced that Durham needs the Trumpet of Conscience," he said. "Durham needs spirit."

In his benediction, Rev. Scott Benhase of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church called for social solutions to ending racism. "The solution to our problem is not political," Benhase said. "Racism is a sin. Until we treat it as a sin, we'll end up right back here."

The event also featured musical performances by Eric Pritchard, associate professor of music and first violinist for the Ciompi Quartet. Pritchard performed two movements from J. S. Bach's "Sonata for Unaccompanied Violin" and accompanied singer Lois Dawson in a spiritual entitled "If You Really Want To Help, Show It."

Franklin congratulated the Trumpet of Conscience for its anniversary. "I can remember when the supporters of the Trumpet of Conscience could meet in my kitchen," Franklin said. "It's great to see you all here."

In addition to receiving praise, the Trumpet of Conscience bestowed awards to Durham residents for service to the community. Ray Eurquhard, Durham County district supervisor for soil and water, received an award for his work with the Durham City Workers Union. Karen Mortimer also received an award for developing the Caring Program for Children, which provides health insurance to poor Durham children.

Mortimer said that Holloway's discussion of "standing in" was particularly appropriate to her condition. Mortimer is currently involved in a legal dispute with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina which concerns her recent firing from the position of executive director of the Caring program.

Share and discuss “Professor speaks at Black History Month celebration” on social media.