Women's golf faces nation's elite

In order to become the best, you've got to play the best.

This past weekend in Hilton Head, S.C., the women's golf team found out just what it feels like to play the nation's elite golfing powers. Facing its stiffest competition of the season to date, the Blue Devil five placed eighth out of 12 teams by shooting a three-day total of 920, which left Duke 39 strokes behind eventual winner San Jose State.

Probably the greatest adversary of the entire tournament field was the Arthur Hills designed Palmetto Hall Plantation Course itself, as it yielded a total of only nine rounds under par for the three-day event. A mere two players out of the field of 60 were able to break par, as both of these scores helped to propel San Jose State to the top.

The play of the Blue Devils could be summed up as a beautiful middle round surrounded by a poor beginning and end. It was another case of the inconsistency that has plagued the team this fall.

"It's a little bit of a mystery," head coach Dan Brooks said. "Every tournament we've played, we had scores as the lowest or closest to the lowest at least one day, and then we'll just have a day that is very high. There's not a lot of things I can blame that on."

Friday proved to be the slow start that the Blue Devils feared, as none of the golfers was able to break par on the 6,257-yard, par-72 layout. Senior All-American Kathi Poppmeier came in with the low Duke round at 74, followed by senior Jamie Koizumi and freshman Jenny Chuasiriporn at 78. The first-round total of 311 left Duke 19 strokes out of the lead heading into the second round.

The story of the first day revolved around Duke's play on the 18th. The entire team was a combined 11-over par on the finishing hole.

"We talked about winning this tournament coming in," Brooks said. "We played 17 holes of really good golf, and then we came to the 18th. That just crushed the team."

Something drastic must have happened Friday night, as Saturday turned out to be an entirely different story, seeing the squad drop 15 strokes off its first-round total. Pacing Duke was sophomore Alicia Allison, who rebounded from a tough opening round to fire a one-under 71. Also adding to the total were Poppmeier, Chuasiriporn and fellow freshman Filippa Hansson, who shot a four-over par 76.

Things didn't stay bright for long, as Duke again stumbled in Sunday's final round by firing a 313. This score was worsened by the fact that only South Carolina shot higher for the day. Allison and Chuasiriporn were the lone Blue Devils to break 80, as the final total left the team behind conference rivals Wake Forest and North Carolina.

"My feeling is there was a reason we stood on the 18th and started hooking balls," Brooks said. "They just got a little bit scared. You cannot stand up there--with their talent--and get scared. There is a problem with fundamentals, confidence and belief. This team should have a lot to believe in. Now I just have to find a way for them to do it."

The women's golf team will have some time to sharpen its skills, as its next tournament is not until the end of February, where the Blue Devils will head to Tucson, Ariz., for the Conquistadores/Chris Johnson Invitational. The time off will also give Duke a chance to refocus on the entire spring season and prepare for the stretch drive towards the NCAA Championships.

"I'm disappointed for the team, but I'm not discouraged," Brooks said. "They put in a very good fall. I don't see bad attitudes. I don't see people giving up."

Share and discuss “Women's golf faces nation's elite” on social media.