Diplomat discusses Germany's changing global role

German deputy foreign minister Helmut Schaefer outlined the three major priorities of German foreign policy in a speech delivered Thursday afternoon.

In discussing his country's role in a changing Europe and a changing world, Schaefer identified greater German integration in the European Community; the role of NATO in Europe; and Germany's role in global affairs as the three most pressing foreign policy issues facing the nation.

"Integration is the key word for our foreign policy," Schaefer said. He cited the presence of the European Community and the Council of Europe as signs of the success of this integration. Schaefer said that the importance of the European Community rests with the hope of increased cooperation among nations.

"You have to work together," he said. "You cannot possibly rely on the economy of one country only." This cooperation will foster a stable economic community, but there still is a need for Eastern European countries to form stronger connections with Western Europe, he said. He proposed changing the structures of Eastern European economies as one way to accomplish this end.

The role of NATO is also an important component of German foreign policy, Schaefer said. "NATO is necessary as long as we have some instability in Eastern Europe. [It is] necessary to overcome problems since the fall of Communism," he said, citing civil and ethnic warfare--as well as the instability in Russia--as some of the problems that NATO must address.

Germany's role in the United Nations may be seeing some changes, Schaefer said. He indicated that U.S. Secretary of State Warren Christopher has proposed a permanent German presence on the United Nations Security Council. Developing nations have supported this proposal, Schaefer said, because German aid to these countries has been strong for the last 40 years.

Following his address, some the 50-some odd students and faculty in attendance were able to direct questions to the German minister. James Rolleston, chair of the University's German department, asked about Germany's role in the Bosnian cease-fire.

"I am optimistic," Schaefer said. "Germany's ready to do something." Schaefer added, however, that he was not sure whether German troops would have a legitimate presence in Bosnia, especially since the Serbs have been opposed to such a presence.

Trinity sophomore Amanda Briggs asked about other nations' fears that Germany would dominate the European Community. "We do not want [to dominate]," Schaefer responded. "If Germany says we are going to give up our sovereignty, how should we dominate?" he said.

Another student questioned German reaction to the possible presence of a single European currency--one that would eliminate individual currencies such as the German mark. Schaefer said that while the majority of Germans would like to keep the mark, the government will work to convince the population that the change in currency is a good one.

The importance of having such questions answered and issues discussed was not lost on University officials. "[Such visits] bring to campus people of real international stature," said Peter Lange, vice provost for academic and international affairs. As a result, "students are better informed," he said.

Share and discuss “Diplomat discusses Germany's changing global role” on social media.