Junior Year: Keohane inaugurated, Lomperis denied tenure, `Real Education' demanded

From the tenure process to the death of kegs to the NCAA Final Four, members of the Class of 1995 had a lot to talk about on campus their junior year.

In October, the University inaugurated its eighth, and first female, president. Nan Keohane charted her vision for the University's future in her inaugural address.

Keohane arrived for the tail-end of associate professor of political science Timothy Lomperis's struggle for tenure. Lomperis lost his appeal for a new tenure review before the Board of Trustees executive committee in April after a long, arduous, confusing two-and-a-half year battle that stirred undergraduates and faculty alike into a debate about the University's tenure process and its commitment to undergraduate teaching.

Earlier in the year, tragedy struck when Engineering senior Brian Wright drowned in a water-filled rock quarry in September.

Injuries were avoided in April when an undetonated homemade firebomb was discovered in the Allen Building. A note accompanying the bomb claimed the campus's social life had declined dramatically.

The note alluded to changes in the alcohol policy, including an Interfraternity Council plan to institute a bring-your-own-beverage policy at open parties. The plan was later vetoed by Janet Dickerson, vice president for student affairs.

Although kegs survived, other staples of student life perished. The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity was dissolved after it was found guilty of disorderly conduct.

Controversy was sparked in September when then Trinity junior Nico Tynes attempted to steal about 300 copies of The Duke Review, a conservative campus publication. Tynes was caught by Tony Mecia, the Review's editor, charged with theft by the Undergraduate Judicial Board and placed on academic probation. Dickerson reversed the sentence in the spring, claiming Tynes could not have known the UJB's definition of theft.

In a move to improve the community surrounding the University and its relations with the city, the trustees' executive committee approved a $2 million investment in affordable housing in Durham. The trustees also prepared to revamp the long range plan for the University, which calls for emphasis on building the sciences and a commitment to need-blind admissions.

The men's basketball team made a welcome return to the 1994 NCAA Final Four, surprising nonbelievers and surpassing expectations. The Blue Devils lost to Arkansas in the finals, falling just shy of a third national championship.

University sports also made headlines when head varsity football coach Barry Wilson stepped down from his post, citing his poor win-loss record. Rice's head football coach Fred Goldsmith was named Wilson's successor.

Off the field, the University community lodged itself in debate of multiculturalism and intellectualism. Task forces comprised of students, faculty and administrators, explored greek, residential and intellectual life on the heels of a report titled "We Work Hard, We Play Hard," by Chapel Dean Will Willimon.

In response to attacks on campus intellectualism, The Cafe was established in the Bryan Center to promote conversation and cappucino. A new Burger King was also opened to replace the Boyd-Pishko Cafe.

As the University contemplated curriculum changes, including more stringent major requirements and creation of minors, members of Spectrum Organization launched the "We Want a Real Education" campaign to demand more diverse course offerings. The protesters marched at Keohane's inauguration to garner support.

The campus also debated a proposal for an all-freshman East, designed to foster class unity and offer a better first-year experience. Trustees ultimately endorsed the plan in December 1994.

The new Duke Student Government made some strides but also ran into difficulty. While the branch that distributes funds to student groups was able to pass a budget without requesting a student activity fee increase for the first time in years, low turnout at meetings kept morale low.

In April, the DSG legislature voted to reduce its size in the hopes of creating a more efficient student government.

Also that April, University trustee William Lane was found guilty of bank fraud in California. The Board of Trustees decided not to pursue disciplinary action against Lane.

Meanwhile, another board member saved the day as commencement speaker. Trustee Judy Woodruff delivered the address after First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton turned down an invitation in early April.

Share and discuss “Junior Year: Keohane inaugurated, Lomperis denied tenure, `Real Education' demanded” on social media.