Lacrosse squares off with UVa at ACC's

After losing a close game to an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent at home, any Duke team would relish the chance to play that team again in a rematch.

The lacrosse team has received that opportunity right away--it plays Virginia in the first round of the ACC tournament today, just five days after losing to UVa at the Duke Lacrosse Stadium, 15-13.

There is little change in the matchup from last weekend--besides the teams' records. No. 2 Virginia improved to 10-1, 3-0 in the ACC, while the loss dropped the No. 7 Blue Devils to 9-3, 0-3 in the ACC. This means Duke is still looking for that important conference win.

"We haven't won a big game this year," senior midfielder Matt Ogelsby. "Last year we had already done that [in a 9-8 win over Virginia]. We're going to go out there to win an ACC game this year."

The Blue Devils were not that far off from winning that conference game last weekend. Duke held a 12-10 advantage in the third quarter before allowing the Cavaliers to go on a 5-1 run to end the game. It would be reasonable for the Blue Devils to have doubts about the upcoming rematch, but instead they are even more confident that they will play well.

"I think we're very confident that we'll win," head coach Mike Pressler said. "We didn't think that we played very well last weekend. This weekend we're just going to play better. We're going to play smarter and harder."

A key point of contention this weekend will be the play of the two goalies. Duke's Joe Kirmser has been having an outstanding season and made 20 saves versus Virginia, but Court Durling from UVa stole the show last weekend, as he stonewalled the Blue Devils in the final quarter.

"[Durling] had a big game last week," Ogelsby said. "But he's not on the same level as Kirmser, who is one of the top two goalies in the nation. Last week, our offense didn't finish well and [Durling] made the saves which he had to make."

Pressler agreed, citing last year's game against Virginia where the play of Kirmser led to a Duke victory.

"Joe Kirmser will have a great game for us," Pressler said. "When Joe is on--which we know he will be--we win."

The players are focusing on playing tough for the entire game. The late-game letdown of last weekend has the Blue Devils wanting to keep up the intensity for the full 60 minutes. Duke is also looking for the entire team to come out and play--instead of relying on just the big names.

"We know players like Harrison and Moscatelli will show up for us," Ogelsby said. "We need all of the other players to come out too. The Ed Fays, James Heaveys and Scott Allens on offense--the John Fays and Andrew Travelsteads on defense. For Virginia last weekend, it was those type of players who came out. If those guys come out big for us this time, we'll win."

For Duke, this game amounts to more than just a rematch. Duke is looking to make it into the ACC final for the first time since 1989. The Blue Devils are also playing for seeding in the NCAA tournament. Duke believes that the results of the ACC tournament will decide whether it ends up with a first-round bye, a first-round home game or a road trip to start of the post-season. And most of all, the Blue Devils will be hyped for the Cavaliers.

"Whenever you play Virginia, it's a big game," Ogelsby said. "It's the ACC, and we're going to be going nuts before the game."

Share and discuss “Lacrosse squares off with UVa at ACC's” on social media.