Frustrated students camp out

A group of students has taken its frustrations with President Nan Keohane's decisions about student life and deposited them at her front door.

As of 2 a.m. Monday, eight tents were pitched on the quad outside the Allen Building, housing about 20 student protesters for the night. The group had planned to camp out in order to meet with Keohane when she arrived at her offices in the Allen Building at about 8 a.m. today, but protesters learned Sunday night that Keohane is out of town until Tuesday.

However, students participating in the event said Sunday night that they still want to be present on the quad when prospective freshmen arrive on campus later this morning for tours and information sessions. They also expected more students to join them on the quad from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., when tours pass by, to participate in the protest.

"[The protest is] so [prospective freshmen] can see that everything that's going on isn't what they've heard," said Trinity junior Julie Brashears, a planner and participant in the protest.

Some of the students who organized the protest also drew up a petition to be passed to students and prospective freshmen and eventually presented to Keohane. The petition outlines eight recommendations for residential life,

Protesters said they think this sort of event will send a strong to Keohane about the level of student dissatisfaction with the residential plan she advocated in December and the changes in housing and dining that have stemmed from it.

"The only language Nan speaks is p-frosh and money," Brashears said.

Share and discuss “Frustrated students camp out” on social media.