Performance explores politics of media

Trusting what you read in newspapers can be a dangerous thing.

This is the message of a solo theatrical piece by Dan Hurlin titled "No (thing so powerful as) Truth," which denounces the power of the media.

Writer and performer Hurlin premiered the piece two weeks ago in New York and is now at the University to perform it tomorrow evening.

"The piece is about the manipulation of language," Hurlin said. "It seems to me that whoever is in control of the language has a lot of power. Language is one of our most important tools. To be in charge of what people read is a very powerful place to be."

Hurlin's piece is based on the life of William Loeb, president and publisher from 1946 to 1981 of the Union Leader, a newspaper in Manchester, New Hampshire. The ultraconservative Loeb used his powerful position to sway the politics of the state and the nation. "It sounds really dramatic to say, but there's no question. William Loeb controlled the state of New Hampshire," Hurlin said.

Even today, 13 years after Loeb's death, a candidate cannot get elected in New Hampshire without the endorsement of the Union Leader, Hurlin said.

Hurlin does not give an biography of Loeb's life, but rather takes ideas from it, building his own story. Hurlin has already faced criticism from Jim Finnegan, editorial page editor of the Union Leader, who knew Loeb personally. Finnegan accuses Hurlin of twisting the facts of Loeb's life tomake a point.

"I never intended to set out and do a biographical piece of work. I intended to write about a publisher," Hurlin said. "I was exploring [Loeb's story] for ideas I could mine out of it."

"To be called a hit-and-run coward by the Union Leader is actually a thrill. I feel like I should pay them a retainer."

In his other works Hurlin takes on the role of individuals affected by the political machinery. This time he wanted to take a new perspective--he wanted to be the political machine.

Hurlin, a native of New Hampshire, said that he was very apolitical for a long time and began to wonder why. He began keeping a political journal, and since he was from New Hampshire, Loeb's name kept appearing.

People who don't care about politics usually stay that way. But in 1990, with the spread of the AIDS virus, Hurlin found himself becoming very distressed about his lack of interest in politics. "I saw people around me dying and I saw people demonstrating about the norms, trying to get the government to do more, and I felt I should be there too," Hurlin said. "I thought that if I did a political piece I would internalize politics and somehow become a part of it."

"The piece is really funny. All of this political stuff sounds dry, dry, dry and it could be unless it's funny," Hurlin said.

Hurlin's work was commissioned in part by the Institute of the Arts. Kathy Silbiger, director of the Institute of the Arts, brought Hurlin to the University four years ago to perform "A Cool Million." Impressed by that piece and having seen Hurlin perform in New York, Silbiger said, "When the opportunity came to commission this work I got on board immediately."

"It's an issue I felt was timely and in a sense timeless, and that I hoped would find some resonance in the University community that's dedicated to truth and justice and the American way."

On stage with Hurlin is musician Dan Froot, who composed the music for the work. The piece also uses visual projections created by Wendell Harrington.

"No (thing so powerful as) Truth" will be performed Saturday, Feb. 4 at 8 p.m. in Reynolds Industries Theater. General admission is $12, students $6.

Share and discuss “Performance explores politics of media” on social media.